Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
fresh start new goals

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2001 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wonder if u can help me i giv up middle distance running 4 yrs ago to have my children however now i intent to start running again my main goal is to run at least 1 marathan how ever since stopping running i have started smoking and am giving up and want to start running gain how do i start and what do u advise
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2001 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How to start running? I dare say that's the easiest question that one could ever ask, and one which Nike patented the response to -- just do it! Smile

Some people feel there are particular training plans best suited to starting up, but I'm not really one of those. Just get out there and run, and slowly build up to where you feel like you can begin actually training. No reason to complicate things at this point.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2002 3:40 am    Post subject: Getting Back on the Road Reply with quote

So you've layed off for 4 years, and want to "get back on the road," this time to a *marathon." I say *GREAT!*

Let's get motivated. One of the best ways, is to go out and watch a local marathon or 10K. That will get your juices flowing, and you will join in the excitement of the crowd and runners.

The next thing I would do, is go to the local track, where you will find other joggers and runners of all levels of conditioning, age and ability.

The easiest way to start back, would be to jog the straight-aways at the track, at a dead-slow pace, and walk the curves. Do as many laps this way as you feel comfortable with...from one to a zillion.

Do the above 4 or 5 times a week. When you are finally able to do 12 laps in this manner, begin to increase the length of your jogs, by running slightly into the curves before you begin to walk.

Eventually you will be able to jog the entire distance of three miles. After this point, "the world is yours!" A marathon may be only one year away.

If you have any specific questions about beginning training, or even *marathon* training, feel free to contact me through my website, www.training2run.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: