Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Weightloss before triathalon

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KanneG
Lurker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2001 5:54 pm    Post subject: Weightloss before triathalon Reply with quote

I am slightly out of shape, but I plan on doing a triathalon in April. In the middle of December I will begin a 18 week training program for a triathalon that consisits of a 1/3 mile swim, 18 mile bike, and 3.25 mile run. Any suggestions what I should do before I start my intensive training? What are some things I can do to lose about 15 pounds, before I begin my program??? Any suggestions? Thanks
________
sc2 replays

Last edited by KanneG on Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2001 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, if you think you are out of shape, I think it's a mistake to wait 6 weeks to begin training. Any training plan worth bothering with has to assume you are in shape before beginning it, otherwise half the plan is simply conditioning, which doesn't really require a plan... I would start doing as much as you can handle now and see where you are in December. If at that point you feel you are ahead of schedule, then you you can cut back the workload somewhat adn give yourself a brief rest.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mario
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2001 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like simply to had that losing 15 pounds in a month or 6 weeks before starting a programm in December is probably too drastic, except if you are severely
overweight.

To achieve goals, it is important to focus on ONE goal at the time. Best burning training are focusing on large volume low intensity aeorobic work-out, while 5K-15K training programm (probably equivalent to your triahtlon event)emphaze high intensity work-out. Even so, every book I read is hammering down the importance of a solid aerobic base before starting such schedule and the importance of going revisiting that base time to time.

Maybe a good compromise would be to start A.S.A.P., to do the thriatlon training level that you could handle and aftermath rework your aerobic base for the next time. Endurance work is a patience game.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2001 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
losing 15 pounds in a month or 6 weeks before starting a programm in December is probably too drastic, except if you are severely overweight.

I agree that is pretty drastic, although it's actually less drastic for someone "severly" overweight, because they've got more to lose and 15 pounds becomes a less significant percentage.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: