Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Training for the 5k

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 1999 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following was posted in the "test messages" area. In the process of moving it to this forum, I somehow managed to delete the message. Fortunately I had first copied it to the clipboard... Dan
----------------------------------
I am 52, have been running for 4years. My PR is 21.28, but Iam confident I can break 20.I log
40-45 miles per week-7 to 9 mile stretches.My training pace varies from 8.5 mpm to 7.0 mpm.
I had been doing speedwork (2mile stretch @ 12:49)once a week for approximately 6 weeks.
But now, I have settled into a rather easy, controlled pace because there are more races
available now that the weather has turned nice.
My strength is increasing and Iam consistently in the 6.5 mpm range in the lst mile, 13.8 in the
2nd mile of a 5-k race. But holding that 6.25-6.5 pace throughout the race is my problem. ANY
SUGGESTIONS?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 1999 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill, I believe? Sorry for the problem transferring your message to this forum.

Your racing sounds a lot like my cross country pacing! It sounds like what would help you the most is tempo runs at about the pace you would like to maintain (6.25-6.5). The 2 mile runs you have been doing should be a good start. I'd recommend trying them twice a week, as only once per week is more of a maintenance level. How often are you racing? Many people will tell you that racing is not a great substitute for hard workouts. Sometimes you can race your way into shape, other times you need to back off a bit and get your training to the point you want first. Lastly, I think your mileage is sufficient. A little more couldn't hurt (50, for example), but probably isn't necessary. Focus on getting more of your training at race pace.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 1999 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks,Dan
I appreciate your response(to BOB, 52 year old, looking to break 20 in the 5k).
I will try your 'twice-a-week at 6.25-6.5 pace'
recommendation.Is my normal 2-mile stretch sufficient?
In answer to your question, I race at least twice a month. Last week my time was 21:32:
lst mile-6:34; 1.8mile-11:46; 3.1 21:32. The last
mile was uphill.
I'll be racing this week-Sunday April 18,5k.
Let you know the how my results are improving.
Tomorrow will begin the two mile tempo run; the
race will serve as the second speed workout for the week.

Again, THANKS
ps will keep you updated
sincerely,

Bob Bunch
Palmerton, Pennsylvania

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Bob Bunch']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 1999 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,

Sorry about the name (Bob was my second guess; I was just happy I saved the message. Smile ). I'm inclined to say that your 2-mile runs should be sufficient in terms of both quality and quantity.

My hesitation in standing strong in that statement is this: For mid-distance racing (my strongest experience is with the 800m and less specifically the 400-1500m events), it is recommended that your total interval/speed work mileage for any given workout should be roughly double your race distance. I.e., If you race the mile, you should get in 2 miles of speedwork. Thus, for the 5k you would want 6 miles of intervals. That said, I don't think it holds true above a certain distance, probably somewhere between 1500 and 5k... However, I would say most distance runners lean toward at least matching their race distance, if not going slightly "over-distance."

A few things you could try: Back off the pace of your 2-milers a fair amount, and try to hold it for 3.5-4 miles. If you can gradually increase the speed for that distance, you'll have no problem at the end of hilly 5k's. Wink Or, run something along the lines of mile repeats. Maybe 4x1 mile at the faster end of your 5k goal pace. Make your recovery between each no more than half the time of the interval, preferably under two minutes.

I hope I haven't confused you too much! Good luck in your next race.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 1999 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dan,
My name is Brad Miedema and I am 14 years old. I am a fairly good runner. My best in the 5k is 20:31. What I want to know is if I should run every day? I have been running 5.5 miles every day but my dad said that I should only run every other day. I was just wondering what your suggestion is.
Thanks,
Brad

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Brad']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 1999 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Brad,

It sounds like you have been successful with your running and probably enjoy it a fair amount, considering your mileage and daily regimen. If you are indeed serious about running, you definitely ought to be running more than every other day. Depending on your body's ability to handle the stresses (i.e. your injury history), 7 days a week might be a bit much at your age. I lean toward six days of running a week, with the seventh day being cross training such as biking. There is a very fine line between toughening yourself through constant running, and overdoing it. Conversely, many people run their best when they are forced to take some time off, as it allows the body to rest a bit. Most importantly, listen to what your body tells you before you listen to what I tell you. Wink

Dan
Adam
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 1999 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brad,
I realize this was directed at DK, but I believe I can add something.

You can improve through running every other day if most workouts are at a fairly high intensity. You will have to experiment for yourself, or consult with a reputable (possibly not your high school) coach. Some runners can handle running nearly every day and others more often need complete rest between hard workouts. Also, if you've run 20:31 off nothing but running a single set distance day after day I would suggest you try varying your workouts. Interval work at faster than your current 5k pace would be a good start. Good luck.

Adam Gaines

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 1999 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My name is Adam White, I have been running cross country for going on 5 years(since 7th grade). I will be a Jr. this coming up year. My best 3 mile last season was l7:45. I really need to break 16:00 this coming up season. I think I need to get a faster pace. I will be running about 250 miles this summer. We practice 4 days a week during the summer. Could you please give me some advise? Also I need to get stronger in my upper body, I'am about 5'7" and weight about 125lbs.Thank You Adam

[Anonymously Posted by: 'mwhite']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 1999 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Adam,

I believe I just emailed either you or one of your parents a few minutes ago. Basically, to get faster you need to run faster. If you scroll down to the bottom of the training page, you will find the speed workouts I have found to be most effective. Pay special attention to doing the 100m strides on a regular basis. They are deceptively beneficial. Also, as a cross country type, you'd probably be wise to focus on the hill strength side of speed development more than the track sprinting.

One thing I've experimented with that seems to work pretty well is to add in a morning run that is little more than a warm-up and some fast strides. It takes very little toll on the body and supplements the afternoon workout quite nicely.

There's nothing wrong with setting big goals, but I would caution you against expecting a 1:45 improvement in the 5k instantly. Set incremental goals and you might get there by season's end. That's a big jump! Also, keep in mind that it takes time to bring everything together. Right now, you probably have endurance at the expense of speed. To build the speed to where you want, you'll probably have to sacrifice the endurance somewhat, at least initially. Once your body adjusts, you should be able to develop the two together.

Lastly, don't worry too much about your size. I used to think you had to be over 6-foot to be a good distance runner. Then I saw the Africans... Gebrsellassie is only 5'3" and runs 63 second laps for 25 laps!!!

Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 1999 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan,
i'm really looking forward to this years cross country season. i'm hoping to run in the low 19's to somewhere in the 18's. right now i'm doing circuit workouts (400,workout x's 4 with a 2mile warm up and 1mile warm down),and my 12-14 mile long run on saturday with anywhere between 4-6 miles on other days. i'm getting about 35-40 miles a week. should i be doing anything else, like hills maybe?
thanks, samantha b.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Runnin7942']

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 1999 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dan,
i'm really looking forward to this years cross country season. i'm hoping to run in the low 19's to somewhere in the 18's. right now i'm doing circuit workouts (400,workout x's 4 with a 2mile warm up and 1mile warm down),and my 12-14 mile long run on saturday with anywhere between 4-6 miles on other days. i'm getting about 35-40 miles a week. should i be doing anything else, like hills maybe?
thanks, samantha b.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Runnin7942']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 1999 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samantha,

Sounds like a good approach to me. The only two changes I would make to what you listed would be to try and get the mileage closer to 45-50 (although 35-40 is probably sufficient) and do a little more quantity of intervals. For instance, I think distance runners should be doing at least 8x400, possibly 12 depending on how fast you do them and how close it is to the season.

Dan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 1999 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey I am training everyday for a 1.5 mile police test up here in Toronto. I have only a few weeks left and I would like to know what I can do this close to race day as far as mileage, nutrition and crosstraining goes?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'peter']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 1999 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter,

How many weeks do you have? If it's two or less, the only thing you can really do at this point is rest, eat and sleep well, get your legs feeling sharp (do some quick stuff that doesn't tire you out), etc.

If you have a little longer, you can get a week of mileage in to build up some more endurance, but I wouldn't attempt anything like that inside the last two weeks.

Dan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2001 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey dan I was wondering where do you get all your references from? How long have you been a runner? and do you coach?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: