Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
Your dairy experiences?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 1999 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious how many of you have experimented with dairy products in your diet and how they affect your running (or general health)? I used to be a very heavy dairy consumer, up to a gallon of milk a day and a fair amount of cheese and yogurt. It wasn't till college that I realized I could hardly run for 24 hours after having yogurt due to the mucus buildup. Smile I thought it was crazy when I first heard that few societies outside of North America comsume dairy products. Now I'm starting to see why...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 1999 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister is lactose intolerant so she doesn't eat any dairy products and she claims that is why she hardly has any fat on her. I tried it and didn't even last a day. I can't stay away from ice cream! Any suggestions. I don't have a problem during cross country and track but in the summer when i'm not really training, I really have a problem with the ice cream and eating healthy all around. Any suggestions?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Sarah']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 1999 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sarah,

Do I have an answer for you! Until fairly recently, Rice Dream seemed to be about the best non-dairy substitute for ice cream. Tastes ok, but definitely doesn't satisfy the ice cream craving. Fortunately, a new brand has come along, "Soy Delicious." Pretty darn close in flavor and texture to the real thing, and they even make it all-organic for serious guilt free splurging. Wink

Aside from that, I've found it's easiest to eat healthy if you find several healthy snacks to keep around. Stuff like rice bran crackers and Mori-Nu's non-dairy tofu pudding mixes are surprisingly good and arguably not truly a dessert. Makes it much easier to stick to the "diet" and not break down. I've been free of wheat, dairy, and egg for about seven months now, and for the most part it hasn't been all that difficult (the only thing tested is the patience of anyone I go out to dinner with).

Dan

p.s. Shortly after going on this diet, I quickly lost 10 pounds without trying to (no muscle loss), and I didn't feel I needed to lose any weight. Dairy definitely has its effects on the body.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2000 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most humans lose the ability to process high levels of lactose by the time they are about 5 years old.

Some populations, Northern Europeans and some groups of east Africans have retained lactase (the enzyme that breaks up lactose) and can consume dairy throughout their lives.

Being of Norwegian and north German extraction, I find that I can consume larger amounts of dairy than most people without discomfort.

There are some tribes in East Africa (Masaii, and Turkana for example) that get well over half of their calories from cattle and Camel milk. Many of their other calories come from the blood of said animals.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Charles Humbach']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2000 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info, Charles. That's interesting the manner in which the lactose tolerant populations are distributed. Just one more advantage the Kenyans have...

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: