Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Goodwill Games

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2001 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious, which of the HSI'ers do you see beating Montgomery? All the reports I've seen indicate Maurice will not run, and being a "championship" type event, I wouldn't count on Ato being the guy...

Let's hope JJ has been working on his starts the past few weeks! He looks like he should be capable of running sub-20's with the same ease as his predecessor. How much under is what remains to be seen.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2001 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was looking at Bernard Williams being the one to beat Montgomery .. But it didn't even take somone of that caliber .. Smile .. Montgomery is good, bt just not there yet .. HE got excited about his Oslo race and let it go to his head .. Started talking about world records and such .. One race does not an athlete make .. And yes I know he ran well at Worlds .. But ask Carl Lewis about getting towed to good times behind and awesome sprinter .. Montgomrey has much to do yet to say he is near equal to Greene ..

And JJ has one day ot improve that start .. He was horrendous in the 100 .. Like I've said before he sould look at the 200/400 double ... Smile
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2001 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But it didn't even take somone of that caliber ..

Based on your wording, it sounds like the men's 100 already happened? I don't see resutls listed...

http://www.goodwillgames.org/2001_Results/athleticsResults.html

The problem is, without Mo, the rest of the field seems to be no different than Tim in that they are best as runner-ups. Bernard has talent for sure, but he seems a bit too raw still.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2001 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the race has happened .. Smile .. I've seen it twice already .. Chambers won in 10.11 .. Cold weather apparently .. Course Montgomery also bragged about how his race in Oslo was in cold weathr too !!! Smile .. Oslo could end up being MOntgomery's Indianapolis !!!!
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2001 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Montgomery and Pintusevich had the same look about them - to opreoccupied with trying to "accomplish something", rather than just going out and running their races .. Usuall a sure way to get beat !!!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2001 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yowsers, dem some slow times! How often will a 0.152 reaction time win by 0.16?? The only excuse for that is sub-freezing and a head wind... There were some very good runners at 10.4 to 10.5.

Uh, the men's 800 was even worse. Surely that can't have been adversely affected by the cold? The women's 800 wasn't too far off a normal pace...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2001 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm .. Slow times - No Mo !!! LOL .. Seriously though, it was cold but ... Not sure wht the wind reading was though .. Have you seen the race yet ?? I think the race goes beyond the conditions .. I already made my comments about Montgomery .. Boldon I think is done .. At least as a contender for the top spot .. First of all if you look at him he has changed a lot physically .. HE is braoder and it hampers him technique .. And when you are running against sub 10 sprinters you can't afford to give anything away .. Bernard Williams was NOT in the race and I think that was important becasue he would have forced early speed .. Chambers win shocked HIM !!! HE got out was in front and just ran for the line .. No MO to catch him !!! You could see the excitement in his face - like a kid that just woke up and found himself in a candy store Smile Course MONtgomery is coached by .... Guess now .... Yes Mr Graham coach of Marion .. Maybe they both need a change .. The one thing I will say about that is that prior to Graham MOngomery was coached by Steve Riddick - former world class sprinter who did an excellent job taking him from nobody to 9.92 (and Brian Lewis from a 10.41 sprinter to 10.00)... Pretty good credentials I Owould say .. Why would you leave someone like that to go to Graham ?? Only thing I will say is that I know that Riddick's idea of supplements used to be Bee Pollen !!!!!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2001 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't Montgomery and Riddick have a blowout, or am I thinking of someone else?

I haven't seen any of the races. Amy I missing anything??? Wink Chambers comments were interesting. Makes sense why he's another of the perennial bridesmaids.

I'm still not ready to fully write off Graham. Other than JJ's 200 (he must've looked awful in the GG 100m, based on time and place), Montgomery seems to be one of the few bright spots in the sprints this year. Of course, Maurice has demonstrated he would be his usual self if not hobbled, but he's been on the sidelines more often than not of late.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2001 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't hear about Riddick and Montgomery .. But that doesn't mean it didn't happen .. Might explain a thing or two .. Would be curious ot konw what the blow up was about ... Supplements maybe ??? Smile

Yeah Chambers comments gave a definite insight into his mentality .. And I can tell you he will be a perrenial runner up .. He needs to go find Linford !!! And I thought JJ looked fantastic in the 100 .. Yes that is what I said .. Yep he had a lousy time and place .. But here goes the coach in me .. His reaction itme is so bad because, HE DOESN'T KNOW HOW TO START !!!! He basically walks out of the blocks .. Then starts running .. And he really just ran a 50 meter stride though the last half of the race casue he was so far back and knew he had no chance .. AND HE STILL WAS ONLY .1 BEHIND BOLDON !!! Beautiful size .. Nice long FLUID natural stride ... Of he already has run 19.88 (and he has) I could get him to 19.00 !!! He is the most natural super star in waiting I have ever seen ... Lewis and Christie rolled into one !!! If he coudl run the first 30 he'd beat Mo .. And right now there is not another person on the planet that should be able to beat him over 200 ... He NEEDS a coach ... John Smith, Tellez, Glance ... Somebody ... Anybody ... Except Graham .. Graham gets him he runs 21.00 ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2001 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I'm thinking of the wrong duo, the quote from Montgomery was "a college coach can only take you so far." So, I guess the question is, was Riddick his college coach? If not, then I'm definitely thinking of the wrong person.

Sounds like JJ duplicated his 200, just without the extra 100 to build up some momentum. I'll go out on a limb and say the 100 is the wrong event for him... He should own the 200 and 400, even with horrendous starts. Let's see if this supposedly super coachable talent can learn some technique...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2001 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riddick was his college ocach so that must have been what you heard ..

And we will see about JJ .. Can tell you from this ornings race that his 19.88 was because he ws in the outside lane .. He has sooooo much to learn .. His turn was horrendous as was his start .. By the time he got off the turn and into some running motion it was way too late .. We will see ohw coachable he is and who he finds ot coach him .. Great potential .. But so far to go to get there ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2001 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point about the "bad" lane draw for his 19.88. Not too often you get a chance to run the turn in lane 9, and like I pointed out before, his start was so atrocious that he never really had to deal with being out front and not seeing anyone. Wink Hard to believe it can be said of someone capable of running well under 20.00 that the 200m is too short for them...

Please tell me the posted results have the lane and finish (rank) columns switched??? Otherwise, the order of finish was the same as the lane order, one through eight.

How 'bout that men's 5k? Slower than the women's winning time by 14 seconds, slower than the world record by 3 minutes, and slower at the 4k mark than the 5k record! If the explanation for the slow sprint times is cold weather, than we definitely need a new excuse for this...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2001 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The results were posted incorrectly as far as the lane draws .. But I haven't real impressed withthe way they have been doing their results any way ..

JJ has so much work to do it is hard to say what ihs best race is .. I tend to think the 200 .. But then there have beena lot of slow starters who were excelent 100 men as well .. And actually he could do all three .. Is perfectly built for it .. Coaching is going ot e the key to his development .. Who and how well .. Now Riddick might be a good coach for him becasue Riddick was a taller sprinter himself ..
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2001 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From everything I have seen the 5000 just sucked !!!! That is the worst attempt at a world class race in the history of racing .. They should have been embarrased to run that race !!! And the games organizers shouldn't have paid them for it .. BAsed simply on lack of effort .. That was the worst ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2001 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think the fans attending the meet would have wanted their money back.

You raised a point that crossed my mind -- honest effort. There are those who feel rabbitted races, especially those of El G's teammate in the WC finals (plural), are not honest effort. Yet, those same people think this ridiculous display of non-racing is somehow fierce tactics and honest effort??? Makes no sense to me.

I think the most telling factor is the fact that all the guys in the race are represented by two of the major power playing agents among distance runners.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: