Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Brussels Meet on Saturday

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leech Boy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to watch the meet on Saturday. It should be a good one. It is on 12:30 Pacific Time on Saturday.

he 800 should be a great race with
Borzakovskiy Yuriy RUS – they youngster
Bucher André SUI - dominate this year
Czapiewski Pawel POL

The 1500
El Guerrouj Hicham – how many last 1500’s is the dude going to run?
Lagat Bernard

The race I want to see most, the 3000
Abate Abiyote ETH
Bakken Marius NOR
Bitok Paul KEN
Carroll Mark IRL
Chékhémani Rachid FRA
García Alberto ESP
Ghazi Salah MAR
Goucher Adam USA
Goumri Abderrahim MAR
Keino Martin KEN
Kibowen John KEN
Kipketer Sammy KEN
Kipkosgei Luke KEN
Limo Richard KEN
Limo Benjamin KEN
Mekonnen Hailu ETH
Mourhit Mohammed BEL
Tanui William KEN
Wolde Million

The 10,000 is loaded too.

On the women’s side.
Whenever Mutola and Graf race, it is always a good race to watch.

Sarah Schwald will be facing a quality field.

Another match up between the Russians and Radcliffe and Szabo. Should be interesting.

Leechboy
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's gonna be on TV? Do you know what station?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2001 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Runner's World online TV schedule:

Aug 25 - Memorial Van Damme - 3:30-4:30 p.m. (EST) - ESPN

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, thanks
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm happy to say that was by far the best track meet I've seen televised this summer (I haven't seen many of them, since those that I have seen have been so poorly presented that I regretted wasting the time), even though some of the camera work was laughable at best. Some thoughts:

- Mutola absolutely gave up when Graf passed her. My high school coach used to ask, "did you thank him when he went by?" if someone passed you at the end of a race. I'm guessing Mutola thanked Holmes... I would think rankings, prize money, and/or circuit points would have been better for 2nd than for 3rd.

- JJ Johnson - wow! Ran in high school and played basketball throughout college. First year back to track and he improves his 200 by 6 tenths of a second to run .13 faster than anyone else this year. And that despite probably the worst first 50m I've ever seen. I suppose you could say by spotting everyone a lead, he nullified the hated aspect of running in the outside lane - not being able to see anyone.

- Marion Jones still looks very flat, but at least smoother than earlier races.

- Sure would have been nice to see a bit more of the steeple and 10k...

- Men's 800 and 1500 - both races were interesting to watch the last 100m or so in that the striding looked so effortless (El G, Lagat, and Borzo) that it was difficult to get a good feel for pace and intensity.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2001 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't watch it, I get espn through another station, but it isn't always on. Sad

Did Hicham El Guerrouj win the 1500 and what was the winning time?

I'll be watching the goodwill games when they start, at least I get TNT.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, El G won in 3:26.12. Second fastest time ever and only 0.12 off his world record. All the more surprising that it looked effortless. Lagat was very close behind, running the third fastest time ever.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't see the telecast .. But have examnied the results .. Not sure why ElG wants to leave the 1500 .. Looking at the splits and from Dan's comments I would think he can take his mark down some more .. How did Lagat look ?? He (moreso than Ngeny) might be the one to take over when ElG moves up ..

And Borzakovsky is very smooth .. Not sure why he chose not to run in Edmonton .. He and Bucher are arguably the most talented 800 runners around outside of the WR holder .. Shocked)

HOw did JOhnson look in the 200 .. I sort of remember watching him at the Oly Trials last year .. Tall or short ?? Type of stride ?? I am assuming long stride given response time and the fact that everyone says he had ot come from behind (although Fredericks did that routinely with out a long stride) ..
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lagat had a bit of strain on his face when they showed the frontal replay, but he looked nearly as smooth as Hicham from the side. He looks quicker than Hicham (ironic, considering Lagat has more of a distance background and ElG is the one talking about moving up), but doesn't have quite the flowing powerful stride. I believe Lagat is running about 10 seconds faster than he was a couple years ago in college.

I don't have the meet on tape to go back and look, but I wouldn't be surprised if lane 7 (JJ was in lane 9) drew even with JJ within the first 10 strides. That's how hideous his start was. I think he was still in last place when he came off the turn, but he was very impressive when he turned it on. He said in the interview afterward that the turn is his weakness. Quite the understatement! He's a big, tall guy with really bad teeth. Smile With that start, stride, and lack of experience culminating in such an impressive time, I can't help but wonder what he might do in a 400...

Borzo did a bit of premature celebrating. He's luck Bucher's legs had already gone to mush. Of course, Borzo seems to have incredibly good body control late race (probably while he's able to accelerate/hold through fatigue so well) and didn't seem to slow down as a result. Just once, I'd love to see someone clowning around get passed at the tape...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah .. Sounds like what i remember of JJ (sans the teeth) .. Sort of like a 70's type sprinter (Steve Williams, Reggie Jones, James Gilkes) .. Almost like a wind up doll (let me get out, get wound up, and watch me go) .. Hopefully he will see the void in the 400 and realize that a 200/400 double would be better than a 100/200 double ..

I think Lagat can go mid 3:25, but I think ElG can go 3:25.00 .. WOW that is fast .. NOt sure what is up with Ngeny .. Thought he had more potential than either one ..

Does anyone know if Bucher and/or Borza is planning to run at Goodwill ??
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kenyans are interesting. With the exception of the steeple (up until last week!), they are almost always 2nd best in any given event. The top Kenyan of the moment changes faster than I can keep up with, but they are ridiculously interchangable. There is usually an Ethiopian, Moroccan, or Algerian right there in front of their top guy, but it's still always #2... I guess it was national fate that Ngeny had an off year, otherwise Lagat couldn't have filled the void. Smile

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kenyans are awesome in their depth .. I often wonder if thier "community" attitude (one of helping each other on the track) almost doesn't get in the way of actually winning races .. It just worked last year that both Ngeny and lagat were right there at the end of the race as they helped overcome ElG in the Olympics .. Otherwise it probably would have been another #2 finish ..
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand... you don't get much more community/teamwork than ElG and his frequent sacrificial rabbit teammate, yet that enables him to win, not hinder.

Although it's changing a bit the past couple of years with increased Ethiopian and Moroccan depth, it seems the Kenyans consistently have 8 of the top 10 in each distance event but rarely #1. I'm not sure why these other countries manage to get one extreme outlier each year when the law of averages would indicate that the country with the most outliers on average would produce the most extreme one(s). Unfortunately, the only explanation I can think of is one I'd rather not get into...

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that topic banned in your forums ??? Smile
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2001 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, we do no testing here, be it in competition or out. Purely the honor system. Smile

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: