Training Talk
Training program for 800 m runner

Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my ever so humble opinion 50-60 miles is just fine. Sure 45 a week is about as much as most people run but if the kid is 2:01 as a freshman then his goals should be a heck of a lot higher than your average athlete and you don't get to be better than everybody else by doing the same things that they're doing. Lots of really good 800 runners are doing that much, especially in their base phase. And not only that but his plan might be a big picture one to try and get him down in the sub 1:50 range by the time he's a senior. In which case he'll need the muscle maturity that longer mileage will give him as he gets older. Now that the season is waring on I like the program that Hammer laid out pretty well. Another work out that an athlete can do instead of the sets of 300's is a progression in which the athlete, runs 40 secs at 90% of 400 PR pace takes 20 secs rest and then repeats that three times, nine days later do the same workout with four repeats and then nine days later do the final workout with five repeats. Finish this progression about 11 days before the biggest meet of your season, and don't do this workout or any other lactate tolerance workout (like the sets of 300's or anyhting with a fast pace and short rest) within 9 days of the biggest meet of your season.

This kid could be a "Man O War" so lets not treat him like a "Spot".

eddie
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope not me. And as for the last reply yes your possibly right but if you look at a look of the top 800 metre boys now adays they have quick basic speed 46's 47's for 400. It's better you work on speed early in your career and slowly increase the milage.
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really depends on what kind of an athlete were dealing with. If this is an athlete that is better at racing longer or shorter than 800 meters. If he's capable biomechanicly of handling the mileage and still is getting in two or three good high intensity workouts a week I think it will better sereve him than by working speed to death. Because no matter who you are it possible to improve more aerobiclly through training than it is to improve foot speed through training. Both systems can be improved but aerobic systems have more room to be improved through training than anareobic systems.

Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2002 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that alot of people shy away from heavy mileage when it comes to 800 and 1500. Maybe it is because of the fear of burnout or people not wanting to put in the extra time. Now I don't always agree with the amount of mileage DG recomends I do believe that 800 runners need to put in some longer runs and their weekly mileage needs to be above 50 miles a week.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2002 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammer, you like that burnout/time commitment theory, don't you? Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: