Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
What should I eat?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 1999 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am I high school runner and I'm going to run the 800 or the mile.

I was wondering what foods should I eat before the race, on non-race days. etc.

Any feedback would be appreciated, thank you.

E-mail me at slushball@aol.com

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Charles']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 1999 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charles,

The quick answer would be, "that depends entirely on your digestive system." I prefer to eat easily digested items before racing, but I know people who will eat sausage and eggs for breakfast and a big mac between races and have no problems! That said, anyone can benefit from treating their bodies right.

I'm a big believer in a medium-sized breakfast of oatmeal or cereal or some such thing. If you are at all lactose intolerant, use rice or soy milk or avoid milk all together. I like to allow plenty of time for the food to digest (about 4-5 hours), plus about two hours to work a snack in around warming up, which has always given me problems with early morning cross country races. However, if you're in high school, most of your races are probably in the afternoon? In this case, what I said about breakfast applies more to your lunch.

The other thing I try to do is have half of a powerbar or a banana about two hours before a race -- plenty of time to digest (I've eaten a powerbar 15 minutes before a hard run with no problems and I have a very sensitive digestive system), and enough energy to carry you through the race. A bagel works, too.

As far as non-race days, you can never go wrong with pasta! Salads, breads, protein, whatever you like. The main thing is to avoid processed, fatty foods. I would limit or avoid dairy near race-day as much as possible. Many people are much more sensitive to it than they realize. If you don't believe me, go off it for four or five weeks and you'll be amazed how different you feel.

Last thing, you've chosen great events! Don't be tempted to eat bad because other people on the team might. The 800 and up put a much different strain on your gut than the sprints, jumps, and throws.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 1999 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a 800, 1600, 3200 and Cross Country high school runner. I eat pancakes with applesauce the breakfast of a race, it doesn't feel bad but is it good?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 1999 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I imagine that's an ok breakfast, especially if it hasn't bothered you. Good nutrients/energy, and nothing overly processed or fatty. I have heard some people say that apples can make you cramp up really bad, but I've never cared to experiment with that myself! Smile My belief is that you should stick with whatever seems to work for you.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: