Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Competition to running in US

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leech Boy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Asics. Sorry for the typo.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phoenetically, that's a rather amusing typo. Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 70's was the beginning of the running boom when everything was new and exciting. Perhaps that newness is what inspired people to the levels of performance then. The newness has now worn off and the elite American distance runner has realized that he can not make a salary that competes with the elite golfer, baseball player or even the elite NASCAR driver. So where is his motivation to postpone an alternate career so that he can train 3 times a day like the Kenyans? Bob Kempanen is a shining example and for those who can remember back far enough so is Tony Sandoval. And the middle of the packer finds he can identify with the guy who runs 50 3:00 marathons easier than Khannouchi. I guess that is the participation mentality. But the money theory falls flat on its face when you look at the ultramarathon world. No one is challenging Barney Klecker's sub 5:00 fifty miles or any real fast times on the road like was done in the 70's. Of course the proliferation of trail races has a lot to do with that. But there has never been any money for the ultra runners. If all that is a bit disjointed it must be because my wine glass is empty. Enough for now.
Micah
Leech Boy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2001 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How come people give more praise to guys like Magic Johnson or Michael Jordon than the local basketball player at the gym who plays on two or three teams a week? Hey he plays a lot, he must be good.

By your argument people would identify with the local gym guy more compared more than these guys and the local gym players would be the guys telling us that we don't have to work hard to get better. We just just have to particpate and we all will be winners.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on my third glass of strong burgundy when I wrote my last post so I am even having a hard time understanding it now. I don't know what the answer is but it does seem that running is about the only sport where the mass participation is put on a higher pedestal than world class times. With the possible exception of golf, what other sports are there where the national publications write more articles catering to the local participant than the elite participant? In fact, in a fairly recent edition of Running Times there was a letter to the editor complaining about the articles on the elite runners and asking for more on the back of the pack runner. Doesn't that seem a little backwards?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most people view running as fitness and are uncomfortable, to put it mildly, with it being associated with a competitive outlet.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2001 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's true... there are a lot more people running for fun or to stay in shape than there are doing it competetively
Leech Boy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2001 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disagree to a point. There are tons of softball players out on the baseball fields I run past. There are tons of people playing basketball. There are tons of people golfing. None of these people are super competitive in their sport but they still don't consider themselves equal to a Jordan, pro baseball player, or Woods.

For whatever reason runners have been feed this we are all winners stuff. It is true we all feel a sense of accomplishment when we reach our goals but reaching my goals is far different than an elite guy reaching his goals.

For whatever reason, we think of elite runners as just being born with more talent. But we never give them credit as athletes. We tear them down to be equal to a guy who runs to finish. We tear the elite pro runners down to the softball beer drinking league players.

Leechboy

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2001 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but most people would happily join in a game of basketball instead of just shoot around, whereas most people jogging around the local track would be horrified at the thought of jumping in a track race.

Running separates the elite and recreational competitors because of the physical difficulty involved and the absolute measurement of performance. We all know how much it hurts to run hard. Where's the pain in shooting jump shots (regardless of shooting percentage)?

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leechboy, I agree with you to a certain extent. There are plenty of us (and I am one) who consider themselves winners based on a purely individual measure of accomplishment. But just because I consider it a win if I finish in the top 20% of any race that should not cause an elite runner to do less than their best.

The guys who have the talent to compete with anyone in the world should do so and not be affected by how the back of the pack crowd is perceived and glorified by the running press. If the elites do the training and succeed then the press will follow and more elites should be inspired to do the same. Just look at how much press Webb got this summer and then at the Worlds Gabe Jennings talked about how much Webb inspired him! It is almost a Catch 22 situation. The elites have got to produce the results first before the running press puts the priority on them.

Then there is the economic factor too. There are a lot more back of the packers to buy Runner's World than elites. So who do you think they will cater too. Enough for now, got to go to work.
Micah
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running is different from most sports. Although there is some strategy in middle/long distance races, it is basically just an all out test of strength and endurance. Runners who want to do well have to go through pain and push themselves as hard as possible. I think that it's hard for people who don't competitively run to appreciate that. I know that I didn't until I started training.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many reasons for the state of distance running today.

1. Charity runners who are more impressed with how much money they raised for charity than how fast they can actually RACE the race. Isn't that the point of a race.

2. Oprah Windfrey(sp.) She actually has the help of a coach to run her 8 hour marathons. Some coach.

3. Jeff Gallowalker. What a sellout, he was tough in the 70's.

These are merely a few. This thread could go on and on and on......
Leech Boy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get why many people follow Oprah so much. Women who are fit and look good buy Oprah's diet books and look to her as a guide and expert on health. She has some power over people. It is strange how people follow others simply because they have a talk show.

Last year when I ran a half marathon in San Diego and there was this overweight woman and an overweight guy right up near the start line with guys and gals who were all sure to break at least 1:20. I almost said something to the lady - but that rarely gets a good response. Usually if I tell someone to line up where they should, I get this mellow out guy type of speech, or we are all out here to have fun, what is your problem? I didn't feel like dealing with that so I wimped out of saying anything.

It turned out the overweight lady was Oprah and her body guard. She ran over 2 1/2 hours for the half. (I forget her time exactly. It might have been closer to 3 hours).

It was the same year that the course records were set for both the men and women. The next day in the paper the big press went to Oprah instead of the athletes who raced well and set the records. Here is what they ran. Peter Githuka (1:02:24) and Cristina Pomacu (1:10:44) Their combined time was less than Oprah's. But she is the expert that people should listen to for their health and fitness.

Leechboy

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given leechboy's insight, here's another angle that I don't believe was mentioned in this thread (getting too long to go back and read Smile ) -- How many other sports combine recreational and elite competition into one event? That may be why so many people lose sight of running as a true competition.

Dan
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2001 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're saying that the recreational side of running sometimes overshadows the compeitive side?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: