Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Competition to running in US

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leech Boy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2001 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why in the late 70's were more people running much faster in the US? The sport has lots a lot of the prestige and interest from many. They don't see it worthwhile to pursue it. Where have these people gone?

Other sports -
soccer and mountian biking probably a lot have gone there,
golf and tennis - more than most would think probably have gotten into tennis and for some reason Tiger Woods has gotten a lot of people into golf. Who knows why or how prestige/glamour moves from sport to sport but right now it is in golf.
Of course, football, basketball, baseball, and a small degree go into hockey.

Then there is the economic interest. People seem to get a lot of their self worth thru their job and running 100+ miles a week doesn't mesh well with career advancement. So, running goes out. So far, all these would point toward Americans aren't lazy now, they just are pursuing other interests.

Then there is the lazy factor. Some kids who in other times would be out playing and running around are now on the computer or playing computer games. They never developed or appreciate feeling the wind in their face. They eat fast food and don't see exercise as a punishment instead of something fun.

We have good guys coming up with Ritz, Sanchez, Tegencamp, Webb, Spiker, Hall, ect. We got Khalid K who might win the world championships in the marathon, but I still don't think that will bring much prestige back to the sport. Sadly. I don't make my living from the sport but I with those who were really talented would be able to pursue it as much as a baseball player does.

It is such a basic sport and a good race has a lot of good drama. I wish the more talented people would pursue it. It isn't that big a deal though. It would just bring me a little more entertainment.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leechboy, What a can of worms you just opened! I got to go to work so I don't have much time. I'll just throw in my first reaction and come back to this later. What we had in the 70's that we don't have now is Frank Shorter and Bill Rodgers winning major competitions. We lack role models! More later.
Micah

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Leechboy, you did open up a lot their, personally , I feel that we definately have way to much going on in are daily lives, I mean people from other countrys always seem to find the time to train, more than Americans do at least.
Another thing is their is not much money put into the sport, My track team just got their budget cut by about 35% , now thats a lot, it may not seem like it but it is, and runners can't improve at the high school or college levels (which is where we need the training) if they keep on having their budgets cut.
like you said these are just a few small parts of the problem , and their really is so much more....
Leech Boy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am surprised neither of you two have brought up another issue. The glorification of mere participation. In what other sport are the weekend warriors told they just as much worthy of praise as people who compete at the highest level?

Some of the articles in magazines glorify all particpants just because they are out there as much as the winner. We are all winners just for particpating ect. Heck no. I particpate and encourage others to take up the sport because it makes me feel good and think it will make others feel good too, but there is no way I am or others at my level are an equal to the elite guys/gals who devote their life to the sport.
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2001 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's partly because not a lot of people are getting into track at a young age. I'm 14 and about 75-80% of the people my age can't run a 3k... or sometimes even a 1k. People are getting lazier in my opinion, but some just don't think track is fun. I can understand how they would may think that, but I strongly disagree. There is nothing more satisfying than winning a an individual sport that is based on pure athleticism. Another reason that people like sports like soccer more is because there isn't a whole lot of training involved (at a young age at least) but with track, there is very little chance of being successful without putting a lot of really hard work into it (I like that). Again, that goes back to laziness.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some teammates from other countrys, all of which told me they started their running careers at the age of 7. I think that the sport should be open to elementary schools. It doesnt have to be competative , just the exposure to the sport, I personally feel would be a good thing. Plus the distances don't have to be set in stone. Younger kids could do something like sprints and field events, but you dont see the youth leagues that other sports have.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Graeme, Good for you! Keep it up.
Leechboy, You may have a good point about the glorification of participation but I think that is a double edged sword. I like the increased participation but along with it we need a stronger glorification of our elites. One of the ways to do that is with compensation. The Kenyans run for an amount of money that will set them, and in many cases their family too, financially well off for the rest of their lives. An American running for the same amount of money is merely comfortable for a few years in our society. Who do you think has the stronger motivation to do the training that results in world best times?
Leech Boy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who is going to pay the compensation? If there are no or few fans, what company is going to think it worthwhile to pay runners?

There are some lights of hope - Hansons Team, Running USA in San Diego, maybe the Fila group, the Nike Farm Team, Wisconsin seems to be getting a good group together too. There is some support for some groups starting up. But big money is not going to come into the sport. The sport is out of flavor right now. Sadly. When most people outside of the tight running community think of a long distance guy, the first person that comes to their mind if Forrest. God, how many times have I heard, "Run Forrest Run."

I just wish more would respect guys like Kennedy, Goucher, Meb K, D. Drossin, ect. rather than a character in a movie.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know exactly what you mean by that "run forest run" I went on an 8 mile run last night and heard it 10 times , from kids , yeah kids about 8 to 13 years old ,(which were not in the best of shape either).......
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you'll be the one laughing when they have heart attacks at age 50.

I live in Canada and we start track and field at grade 4. At that age it isn't very competetive so a lot of people join. When you get older there are less people, but it is much more competetive and the track meets include larger areas.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know money doesn't necessarily cure all problems but imagine Nike putting down the same amount of sponsorship money for Kennedy and Drossin, etc. as they have for Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods. With that carrot out there would it not inspire the rest of the US distance runners? Some one needs to put in the first infux of capital for the sport to build on. And why not Nike? Running built Nike but it seems that running has taken a back seat for them lately. In fact I am a long time Nike customer who is starting to think about switching.
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2001 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nike uses athletes like Michael Jordan and Tiger Woods (if you want to call him an athlete) because they are popular. The sad truth it that track really isn't as popular as basketball or golf. It wouldn't be good advertising to use people that aren't household names.

I don't like Nike that much. They are a huge company with money to spare and overpriced products. It seems that the only way other companies can compete, is with quality Smile But I shouldn't talk since my spikes are Nike.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I like nike, but if nike did ads everyday on certain runners , then yeah people across the US would know their names too, and they would become household names, it doesnt take that much , they just need to do it, but ??? for real what is going to push them over the top??? notta I certainly dont know anyone at nike and never will same with adidas , and new balance , and asic , where is their money going ??/ why dont they put someone in magazines and ads all the time , theirs little exposure for runners right now .... so its not just nike
Leech Boy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The shoe companies do support the top elite guys/gals pretty good. The top guys aren't hurting for money.

About 4 or 5 years ago, New Balance offered 1 million dollars if an American (male or female) set the American record. Of course, this was before Khalid was an american.

The point is that the shoe companies do give to the top level guys but the second tier guys don't get money or prestige.

But you guys are missing something in your arguement. You are saying money is the only thing that motivates/validates someone to get more into the sport and for the us to get faster times.

But the guys in the late 70's didn't do it for money. There was much more depth in distance then and there wasn't much money in the sport at all. But now there is no prestige in running fast times and back then there was. Athletics was considered a sport and not a recreatoinal activity.

These days most readers of Runner's World and other people walking in the street are more impressed by a guy who has done 50 marathons who has a PR of 4:00 than a guy who has done 3 marathons and has a PR of 2:27.

by the way, Drossin runs for Ascis - NOT Nike.
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2001 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean Asics?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: