Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
HELP -- STRESS FRACTURE

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2001 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, You asked about my stress fracture so I decided to make this a new conversation. This one is number 3 in the past 6 years. The first two were on the outside of the right leg just above my ankle. The first in 1995 and the second last winter. The first accured after building my long run to 9 miles and the second after starting some tempo runs on top of a 18-20 mile a week base. The current one is in the left foot and happened in late April as I was finishing a very conservative rehab of the one that happened in the winter. I ran a quick, but not terribly fast, two miles and two days later could not walk. So here I am back in rehab land. I have had bone scans to verify the stress fractures and today a bone density to rule out osteoporsis (spl?). The news was good today and the doctor suggested calcium supplements. I would love to know why I am prone to getting these things, if indeed I am more prone than anyone else. One problem I know I have is my weight. I carry 200 pounds on a 5'9" frame. I am trying hard to do something about that. I have a neutral foot plant and wear Nike Air Max Triax or Internationalist. I am open for suggestions or anyone else's experiences with stress fractures.
Thanks, Micah
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2001 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you been to a podiatrist? We've got someone on the team with chronic stress fractures in his shins and all things are pointing toward needing orthotics.

Regardless of mechanics, less weight obviously means less stress, so I would agree that's the best place to start. The only other thing I can think of is to work on lower leg strengthening, as stronger muscles in that area might lend more support to the bones and actually build them up (repetitive stresses supposedly strengthen the bones).

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: