Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
New Runner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruby29
Lurker

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2001 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am very interested in running. My goal is to run my 1st 5k in November. Do you have any suggestions for me? Should I run on the street or on a sidewalk? I am real nervous, but excited at the same time. Any advise and encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

[Anonymously Posted by: 'ruby29']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2001 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is your current level of fitness? Have you done any running previously? Running on the street vs. the sidewalk is pretty much a toss up. The only real difference (aside from some theoretical differences in hardness) is any camber that might exist. If you options available to you, a better choice would be between pavement and trails/grass, as that's where you'll discover significant impact differences.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ruby29
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2001 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't worked out at all in 2 months. I previously taught water aerobics 3 days a week. I ran a year ago for a couple of months in a running club. I ran a 5k in about 31 minutes. I have moved, so I now live in a small town where there aren't any running trails. There is a sidewalk that circles a park that some consider a place to run. I am confused about what I should do. I also have severely overpronated feet. What shoes do you recommend? I currently have a pair of new balance. I really would like to run my 1st 5k in November and one of these days I hope to finish a marathon. Thanks for your help.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2001 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been several recent discussions in these forums about starting up a running program. It would be worth your time to read through a few of those. Aside from that, my advice is always to just get out there and do it. There's nothing special that you have to do to get in shape. The different training programs pay dividends when your goals become more specific.

If you're happy running around the park, then there's no problem with that. If nothing else, there should be a long stretch of road somewhere that you can run along.

I'm not too up on the latest shoes, so I can't be of much help there. Best to find a good running store and have them take a look at you in different shoes.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: