Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
800 m work-out

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the 3x300 m an appropriate speed-work for 800 m?
I and my firiend run each 300 m at the pace 5% faster then our current 800 P.B.'s. We take 2 minute-breaks.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

300m is an interesting choice. The human body can withstand an all out sprint for between 250 and 300m before lactic acid build up slows you down. The thing is, there are at least 2 kinds of speed work you want to do: almost sprinting and then endurance speed work out. You are getting the first part but not the second. so, try doing 4x600 at 5% slower than race pace and alternate between the 2 workouts each time you go to the track. so it you go to the track tomorrow, do the 2nd workout. then the next time, do your workout. After a couple of times, you should notice in races that your middle part of the race is quicker and easier...:=)

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Donk']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the speed you're running them at, it isn't bad. However, I would aim for 4x400 at close to that pace. In general, the workout's interval distance should be double the distance of the race it is in preparation for.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean half. :0

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The human body can withstand an all out sprint for between 250 and 300m before lactic acid build up slows you down
Actually, the number is closer to 60-70m. Beyond that point, everyone decelerates at maximum effort. Other than calling 300m intervals speed work, I agree with your suggestion.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You keep beating me out on post times. Smile

No, I actually meant what I said. If the race is 800m, the intervals should total double that distance (1600m), which is what 4x400 equates to. Unless you thought I meant the distance of each interval... That wouldn't work very well, as nothing would work on speed and endurance specifically.

Dan

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yet you just advised him to do exactly that (400m is half of 800m...). To finish your point, he should also try 10 x 100m once in a while. Smile
As far as the 70m deceleration mark, although that might be technically true (especially for a 100m person) the bigger change occurs at 250m to 300m. That's why you never see anyone "die" in the 100m's or 200m's (pulled muscles don't count). However you often see inexperienced runners go all out in the 400m and "die" in the last 100-150m.
This 250-300m cutoff is also a good thing for you youngsters to know about. In any of the distance events (800m on up) start your all out kick not at 100m to go, and not at 400m to go like everyone mistakenly does. Go at 250-300m and you'll escape from the guys waiting for the last 100m and you'll catch the guys that go at 400m as they die in the last 100m... Wink

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're missing my point. 4x400 is an example of a workout that is well suited to the 800 and meets the criteria of 1600m in total interval distance. Doing intervals that are always half the race distance would not develop the energy systems very well, but they can certainly be the staple.

Just for the record, I've seen lots of people die in the 100 and 200. It's real ugly...

Dan
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2001 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You both are right when it comes to sprints.
1) You can run only about 4 to 6 seconds (about 60 meters) using ONLY the non-lactic and non-aerobic path. It is like using cold fusion in physics.
2) You can run between 250-290 m using ONLY the lactic or anaerobic path.
3) You can run forever, in theory at least, using the aerobic path.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2001 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting, Robert. I wonder if distance runners are even capable of getting their body speeds up to that level 1) area where they would feel anything. Going back to the whole fast twitch thing, maybe they can't experience it?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2001 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inconsistency:
On June 28, Dan said:

Other than calling 300m intervals speed work, I agree with your suggestion.

Yet on his very own Training page he says:

Quote:

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2001 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also said "top-end" and "or less," meaning that statement isn't exactly an absolute. Speed work is when you develop your top speed, pace work is when you work on race pace type of stuff, just like they sound. Wake me up when you find a more worthwhile inconsistency...

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: