Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Struggling

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2001 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running for 2 months but still struggling to finish a 2mile. How do I improve the running? I run 4 days a week.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Running']
Patrik
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2001 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, do you know what prevents you from finishing? Do you get side cramps or pain somewhere, or just feel too tired?

Endurance work is what you need probably, what does your current training program look like? If you aren't already try doing some walk/run intervals (run 90 secs walk 30 or 15, or whatever is good for you).

Hopefully that will give you some hints =)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2001 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Patrik, I usually run without any cramps or pain but just couldn't run with comfortable pace and far. I tend to breath hard even with considerably slow speed. Any advice on breathing or are my legs not strong enough?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2001 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It usually takes 7 months of running to get in shape. don't be afraid to breathe with your mouth open-- you want to get the air in anyway you can. Your legs will get stronger with time. try to run 2 miles 4 x a week. Pick one of those 4 days as your "distance day". then once every 2 weeks, increase the mileage of that one day by 1 mile. so first week 2m, 2m, 2m, 2m. then 3rd week 2m, 2m, 2m,3m. then 5th week 2m, 2m, 2m, 4m...until you get up to 8 miles. by then, you'll handle your 2 mile runs like a champion.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Donk']

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2001 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, Donk. Do you think leg strengthening exercises useful to running such as weight lifting?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2001 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I do not. Virtually none of the top distance stars do leg weight training. It has been shown to be helpful for jumpers (especially high jumpers) though.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Donk']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2001 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in favor of leg strenth work for any runner, but only stuff that has direct correlation to running, i.e. lunges, toe raises, and leg swings with resistance. None of the top distance runners do leg strengthening???

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Patrik
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2001 4:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thing you might consider is training your stomach and back some. I read somewhere on runners world that you breath more effectively if you don't lean forward while running. I tried it today and it felt like I could go on longer, but my (very bad shape) muscles started to hurt towards the end of the run.

Try to learn some belly breathing if you don't already, and as Donk said, breath with your mouth open.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2001 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. I tried belly breathing when running but was not easy to master it. I think I've to run hard to get better.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: