Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Motivation

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2001 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running for 2 months and began to love it now. My 1.5mile run yesterday was completed in 14mins. Do you think too slow? And how do you keep yourself motivated because I'm afraid that I'll loose that drive one day? Smile

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Newbie']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2001 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no such thing as too fast or too slow, especially if you are doing it recreationally. One way to remain motivated is to set short and long term goals. For example, you might set a goal of completing that run in 13:30 within the next month or two, and 12-13 minutes within the next year, with the latter being your long term goal.

(With competition, I tend to set long term goals that are actually unattainable, as I believe reaching your long term goal means you didn't set it high enough and actually sold yourself short.)

The other major item for retaining motivation is a good training partner, as I have mentioned in numerous other threads.

Cheers,
Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2001 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan.

Patrik
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another tip, make sure you stay healthy and don't become sick. I'm having a hard time starting now, after 2 colds and ingrowing toenails (pain in the •••). Hopefully I will start running in the end of this week, but it's hard.

As long as you keep running regularly it's not too hard to stay motivated, it's when you stop the hard part begins.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2001 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very true. Consistency is a good thing. Just don't confuse it with complacency. Smile

"Doing average is what keeps the average down" -- I don't recall the source...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Newbie! When I started running in 1977 I had trouble staying motivated until I entered my first race. I've been running and racing ever since and consider it a major part of my life (and by the way, 14 minutes is about my speed for 1.5). Not everyone enjoys racing but give it a try and you may find yourself hopelessly hooked at that point. Good luck and keep us posted!
Micah

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I've just finished 2mile run although quite a slow pace. My next one will be 3...maybe two more weeks time.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: