Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Run in the evening or run in the morning?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the Swedish study falls into that category of "If it sounds too good to be true..."
Micah
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They probably also determined that you can burn fat from your abs by doing crunches. Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Patrik
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, wasn't it a Swedish study that showed that running downhill was good for your legs? =)

Well, since it was in a fitness magazine and not a running magazine, what can you expect? =)
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2001 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe there have been lots of high quality Swedish running studies, so the friendly insults are only directed at the one in question. The fact that it was in a fitness magazine makes it much more questionable, in my mind.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Leech Boy
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, most elites and semi-elites run both in the morning and in the evenings at least a couple days a week. They run twice a day. You have to build up to this but many swear by it.

I like to go easy some mornings for about 30 minutes on days I do speed at night. It helps me get loose.

You should just run by feel. Training is more an art than a science. Sure there are some psuedo scienctific stuff thrown out there but training should be more by personal feel than what a study says.

The basics - run a lot and do a little speed work and don't try to maximize everything. Enjoy being outside and running.

A great site by Bob Hodge (2:10:59) tells his core beliefs

http://www.bunnhill.com/BobHodge/
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2001 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point about two-a-day's. My comments above were assuming we're talking about either/or, not what to do for optimum training.

Dan
Shaun Fox
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2001 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running in the morning is best if it is a training run because it is harder on your body so when it comes to running a race in the afternoon it will seem easier.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2001 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something to be said for that, but my feeling is that that effect is countered, if not outweighed, by maximizing your training by doing so under optimal conditions, i.e. running in the afternoon.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: