Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Run in the evening or run in the morning?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2001 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello runners!
I want to start running to get back in shape. I have heard that the best time to run for fat burning and fitness improvement is morning, because it boosts the metabolism for a longer time. However, I just can't motivate myself to run in the morning! I'm not a morning person anyway, and to run in the morning I would have to wake up very early due to my work schedule. Running in the evening is so much easier for me. I'm just wondering, how much more benifit does one get from morning running as opposed to evening running??? is it really that big of a difference. If so, does anyone have some suggestions for morning motivation?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'new runner']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2001 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be very surprised if there is any measureable benefit to running in the morning, at least on average. I would guess that most people would do better running in the afternoon/evening, since that is when the body is best prepared for heavy exhertion. Most of all, run when you feel it works best for you.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2001 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the "Runner's World," the best time to run is between 4PM and 5PM.

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2001 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! this is good news for me Smile I have found that I run best in the afternoon anyway, so I'm very happy to hear that I am not missing anything running in the morning. Thanks so much for the responses, this site has been a major help to me in my quest to get healthy.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'new runner']
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2001 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been running for 24 years and haven't really noticed that much difference between morning, evening or noon runs. The biggest advantage to mornings though is if you have a job with an unpredictable schedule. Then you get the run done and don't have to worry about anything interferring later on.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2001 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

from what i understand the benefit to running in the morning is that your running on an empty stomach and you'll start burning fat for energy more quickly.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Mathew L']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2001 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be surprised if it is that simple. Running on an empty stomach also means less fuel available, which in extreme cases leads the body to break down the muscles as an energy source. Actually, I think I remember reading that that tends to happen before fat is burned off.

Besides, if you eat lunch at noon and run at 4-5pm, food should be sufficiently digested to be considered an empty stomach.

Also, any gains there may be from running on fumes would most likely be countered by being able to run harder later in the day. Higher exertion means a bigger boost in metabolism throughout the day, which is likely to be a much larger impact calorie-wise than the actual time spent running.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the military has been runner in the morning for years....
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2001 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They also run in boots, but you don't see too many Olympian runners doing that. The military has its own reasons for doing such things, more often than not for things other than peak athletic performance.

Dan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2001 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Dan, the military does NOT run in boots. The only branch that probably still runs in their boots is the Navy Seals. The regular military could not afford that many medical discharges. Otherwise most Army soldiers run 5 days a week averaging about 4 miles each day, in running shoes.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2001 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've seen lots of army types (ROTC mostly) running in boots, and quite a bit of other apparel not conducive to top running. I stand by my statement that the army's reasons for doing such things is not peak running performance, rather physical and mental conditioning.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2001 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I partly agree with anonymous and partly with Dan. Running in the military is mostly geared toward fitness for combat and not competition. But the military has recognized that serious running should be done in regular running shoes and not boots. Also, Dan, when referring to the United States Army (or any other particular country)Army should be capitalized. It may sound picky but it makes a difference to us veterans.
Micah...Former Captain U.S. Air Force
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2001 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, no offense intended. Smile I can't disagree with what my eyes have witnessed, but I'll agree with you guys if you say it's the exception.

Dan
Patrik
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2001 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm taking the following facts from a Swedish fitness magazine. It says Walking before breakfast will burn 50% fat and 50% carbohydrates. Walking after breakfast would burn only about 20% fat and 80% carbos.

Then, the following also, a 30 min fast walk burns close to 70% fat and 30% carbos, while 30 min running only burns 10% fat and 90% carbos. I'm kind of having a hard time believing that. Also note that fast walking 30 min burns 140 calories, running 30 min burns 340 calories. Even with this fast walking 30 min would be more effective? As I said, I'm having a hard time to believe that the difference would be that big. Anyone know if those numbers are correct?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2001 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with you on the disbelief thing...

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: