Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
The outside of my knee is killing me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2001 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am 17 going into my 12th grade year and I really need to be training. Everytime I run my knee starts hurting. I think my friend said it could be my itcb band or something like that. What is the best way to get over that. I have tried laying off of it for about a month and a half but still get pain when i run.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Timothy Insley']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2001 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is on the outer side of the quad, down close to the knee, then it may well be an IT-Band flare up. That can often be alleviated by lots of stretching and massage work. If you straighten your leg, you can take enough pressure off the tendon to dig in with your hand/knuckle and work some of the tension out of the tendon and surrounding muscles.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2001 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the exact same problem with my IT band for around 6 months. I had no idea what it was but then I went to a physiotherapist. She gave me some stretches to do for example: standing up lean over (sticking your hip out)and put your foot in front of the other(the foot opposite the hip sticking out) another stretch is sitting down cross one of your legs over the other and pull with the opposit arm. Your IT band is a long band that goes from your hip to under your knee so just as long as you stretch the band(not necessarily in the knee area) it it will be ok. I also iced it to 15-20 minutes after running and do thoses two stretches twice a day holding each stretch for 30 secondes three times.It takes a lot of time and it is boring to do the stretches but it is worth it because now less than 3 months later I am better than ever!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: