Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
Underweight?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2001 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im 16 and in the last two years i shot up a lot. 7-8 inches to be exact putting me at 5'11, in that time though i didnt gain much weight and i weigh 140 pounds. I recently started running for endurance and because i thought it'd be fun. Would gaining weight be beneficial or should i maintain this frame? I want to be a distance runner. Also would it be bad for me to take creatine or a protein supplement. I basically want to be as fast and be able to run as long as possible. Thanks for any input.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Ed Gein']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2001 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are training for endurance, then you certainly don't want to go out of your way to gain weight. Weight is good in so much as it is results in an increased strength to weight ratio, but that often is not the result of weight gain for distance runners. I definitely would not recommend creatine or protein supplements in your case. Just eat healthy, and if the body adds muscle through training, then so be it.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2001 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright thats what I thought. So i'll just eat right and keep running and hope for results. Part of the reason im so skinny though is that i used to eat one meal a day and now that im eating 3 meals a day or more as of 3 weeks ago i gained like over 5 pounds. Thanks for the input

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Ed Gein']

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2001 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh yea would u suggest weight training or no to that as well. I mean right now i just do push ups, crunches, pull ups, and running.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'ed gein']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2001 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only ate once a day?? Yikes, that's not good. In that case, a bit of weight gain will probably help you a lot in the long run... I definitely recommend weight work, but mostly geared toward endurance (high reps), not raw strength.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: