Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
Welcome to the Health Forum

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 1999 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's on your mind today? Would you like to discuss health, sports nutrition, or diet? Me, too! Topics do not have to include the food allergies my Health page deals with primarilty, although those are quite welcome as well.

Dan Kaplan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 1999 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just started running after a 6 month lay-off. During the lay-off, I lost 18 lbs due to poor dieting & missed meals. I'm 5'6 & 137 lbs. If wanted to speed up the cleaning out of my system, could I drink water, and maybe a salid or fruit for a few days?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Rob']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 1999 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

Most people would be happy to have lost that much weight after a long layoff. Smile What sort of running do you do, distance or shorter stuff?

My personal opinion is that the best approach would be to just settle on a healthy diet and let the running do the system cleaning. Special fasts/diets are suppposed to be good for that, but they'll probably leave you too low on energy to exercise much. Based on your current height and weight, I don't think there's anything to worry about. Go with how you feel.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 1999 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan:

Thanks for the advise. I'll listen to my body's needs. Currently I'm jogging 2 to 3 miles every other day. My goal is to run in a 10k race with a desent time. Is an 8 min mile pace desent, meaning finishing before the directors open up the streets for autos? Do you think I can be ready in 1 month, or should I give myself 1-1/2 to 2 month training 1st? Thanks again for your time & input!

Rob

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Rob']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 1999 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

Sounds good. I would guess somewhere between 7-8 min. mile pace would be middle of the pack, so you shouldn't have anything to worry about. One month is a little bit tight based on your current mileage, but you never know -- muscle memory can work wonders!

The biggest danger of trying to prepare in that short a time is injury. Sounds like you know to be careful.

Dan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 1999 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I was wondering if it is possible to have an allergy to alcohol? Seems everytime I drink beer or wine I get a runny nose and sore throat the next day. Sometimes I get a full-blown flu.

Also, should you run if you feel run-down or mildly sick?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'myhaf']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 1999 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

myhaf,

I imagine it's possible to be allergic to just about anything, but I don't know specifically about alcohol. My throat gets sore from small amounts of alcohol -- one more reason I don't care for it.

When I'm starting to feel sick (which I might add hasn't happened a single time in the 9-10 months since I've gone off wheat, dairy, and egg, due to allergies), I often go for a good, long run. It generally helps to burn it off, although sometimes it seems to make it much worse. Smile If you're too sick, it's probably better to rest.

Dan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 1999 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much,

Now I'm curious, what did you do to stop eating wheat and diary? What do you eat for carbs instead? Do you have any portion/nutrient guidelines? I'm also a vegetarian. I'm assuming there goes the frozen yogurt as a dessert?

Thanks,
Lisa

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Myhaf']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 1999 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lisa,

What did I do? Well, other than go cold turkey, not much! Wink I gave away several large boxes of wheat products, as my friends can attest to. The biggest challenge is getting in the habit of reading for minute, hidden details of ingredient labels.

The only real guidelines I have (and debatably they're not even that) are: a) if you can't pronounce something in the ingredients, don't eat it, and b) as long as you're eating healthy stuff, it's not worth worrying about balance and quantity. Part "b" is definitely questionable depending on your interpretation...

As far as stuff I can eat, there are quinoa/corn blend pastas (which I find actually taste better than wheat), rice pastas, more soy products than you could imagine with more coming along all the time, beans, etc. Also, Soy Delicious (I'm not sure if that's the brand name or the product name) makes a soy "ice cream" that is a surprisingly palatable substitute for the real thing.

One warning -- only go out to dinner with people that don't mind playing 20 questions before ordering...

Dan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 1999 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I am a 17 year old cross country runner. During fast speed work intervals on the track I always get headaches. Theses are not high mileage intervals but speed work or mile repeats at almost a race pace. At first I thought these were from not properly hydrating but I've come to believe that they are not from this because I constantly hydrate throughout the day before the run. could this be from poor nutrition? What might you suggest as a pre practice meal about 4 hrs. before the practice?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'kyle']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 1999 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Kyle,

My first (and only Smile ) thought was hydration, but I guess that's not the case. I suppose diet/nutrition could cause just about anything, so that's a possibility. I always give myself 4 hours (3 at a minimum) between finishing eating and beginning the workout. Pay attention to the sort of stuff you are eating, as well. Do you drink mostly water, or other liquids?

Dan

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2000 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a new runner, about one year, age 55, my normal workout is 30 minute run four days a week and one long run of 60 minutes. After about one to two miles my foot goes to sleep and the pain works up my leg. Once during a 5K I almost quit. My doctor says I have something called "Runners Curse" Caused by cafine and carbonated drinks. I have given up both and there is no change. Anyone got any ideas?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Bill R.']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2000 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bill,

That's a very strange diagnosis your doctor provided. I'm no doctor, but I can't see how carbonation and caffeine would have anything to do with your problem. Smile

Sounds to me like lateral compartment syndrome or a too-tightly laced laced shoe. If loosening the lacing doesn't help, try gently stretching the calf/achilles area on a regular basis. I had the same problem for a while, and I managed to pretty much eliminate it through extra stretching (and a ProStretch).

Dan

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2000 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am just returning to running after a 4 year lay off due to illness. It first started as Glandular Fever but I was later diagnosed as having Post Virual Fatigue Syndrome.
I have just quit my job and am ready to return to running after feeling full of life again. It's so great to feel full of energy. I know I need to take it easy but I was once fairly good at only a young age. I'm now 21 yrs old and looking for any advice I can get. I want to see if I still have what it takes to be very good and if I don't use this opportunity I have now then I will never know if I could have been successful. Can you give me any guidance or give me some contacts to ask for help.
Thanks for your time.

Milly

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Milly']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2000 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great that you're feeling so much better! I had a viral infection for 8 months and know how amazing it feels when it finally passes.

21 is still very young in running terms. You can expect to improve until you are 30 most likely, so don't put too much pressure on yourself to make it back instantly. Just start slow and build up, and you'll figure out soon enough if you have what it takes to make it back.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: