Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Kenyan and Carribbean athletes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2001 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHY ARE KENYA AND SEVERAL CARRIBEAN ISLANDS ABLE TO PRODUCE MEN'S WORLD CLASS TRACK ATHLETES IN SUCH GREAT NUMBERS AND/OR AT SUCH GREAT RATE???

ALSO, WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE THE GENERAL PATTERN
GLOBALLY OF THE PRODUCTION OF MEN'S WORLD CLASS TRACK ATHLETES IN BOTH ABSOLUTE AND PER CAPITA TERMS??????????????????

[Anonymously Posted by: 'PRODIGY']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2001 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does this sound like someone's research project? Wink

There are an endless number of ansers -- social, genetic, climate...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ward's worthless opinion. Kenyan and Caribbean athletes are the best due to economic motivation. A top distance runner on the road circuit in the US or a top track athlete on the European circuit can make around $200,000 a year or more. That isn't bad money at first glance. However, in the realm of professional sports in the US that is small potatoes. In Kenya or Jamaica that supports not only the runner but a good portion of his extended family for several years. So who has the economic incentive to do the training to be the best in the world? When Bob Kempanen was the best marathoner in the US, and in his prime, he gave it up to go to medical school. If he was making the same type of money that the best baseball, basketball and football players in the US were making would he have done the same thing? I could be wrong, but I can't help but believe that if US runners had the opportunity to make multi-million dollar salaries then they would do the training necessary to be at the top. Look at our sprinters. They do have the opportunity with endorsements to make the REALLY BIG money and they do the training to be the best, but our distance runners don't have that opportunity and consequently we find ourselves in the position of only having only one runner each in the mens and womens Olympic marathon and being pleasantly suprised if a 5K or 10K runner can make it to the finals. Food for thought.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the other hand, there are those who say US distance runners are soft because they have it too easy. Would more lucrative contracts make that better or worse?

Also, there are plenty of US sprinters with minimal or non-existant contracts that are much more competitive on the world scene than are the best sponsored US distance runners, so I don't think that comparison quite encompasses the full subject.

Like I said, there are an endless number of answers... Smile

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2001 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the sprinters who do well without the big contracts could be motivated by the example of Michael Johnson and Carl Lewis, etc. Even though they may not currently have the money they know the possibility exists and that provides the motivation. Where is the role model for the distance runners? Another factor is that distance runners don't peak until their late 20's or later. At that age range it is hard to exist financialy and do world class training. We have good college training programs and then the majority of runners are on their own with no support system to help them maintain world class training levels. So in one sense they do have it easier than the Kenyans. They can give up running and pursue lucrative careers in the US economy. The Kenyans don't have that opportunity in their homeland so they run.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2001 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Where is the role model for the distance runners?

I should think the Kenyan several spots ahead would be a plenty good role model. Anyone should be able to draw inspiration and motivation from such an example in action, regardless of nationality. Heck, many Kenyans train in the US and Europe more than they do at home, so shouldn't that count as a role model in terms of locale?

Quote:

Another factor is that distance runners don't peak until their late 20's or later.

On average that may be true, but it is also becoming more common for sprinters to peak in their mid to late 20's. Besides, many Africans peak in their late teens or early 20's (if you believe the birth certificates)...

I don't disagree with what you are saying, but other parts of the world appear to be of the mindset that if you wait till your mid 20's to reach an elite level based on financial support, then you are already well beyond your prime.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2001 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I asked where the role model was for the distance runners I was not talking about the athletic role model, I was refering to the economic role model. A Kenyan runs for what in his country is a fortune. That same amount in the US is peanuts compared to other pro sports. Economics certainly isn't the only factor but I do believe that it plays a significant part. If Bob Kennedy was making in excess of $5 million a year as many of the other pro athletes do, would that not be a huge motivator for young US distance runners?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2001 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with that. Still, a fairly competitive American runner can make as much as the average 9-5'er, so there isn't a complete lack of financial incentive. It just pales in comparison to the big revenue sports.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2001 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right. In fact they will make a lot more than this 9-5'er. But I can do my job for 25-30 years and retire. Our elite runner is looking at what? 5 years or 10 at the most? Well, speaking of jobs I got to go and put in about 16 hours now. What happened to 9 to 5?

Micah
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2001 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me about it... I think I work that many hours at two or three jobs a day! Smile On that note, I'm off to my second job for the day...

Cheers,
Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: