Training Talk
Percentage of fast/slow twich muscles

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2001 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright Dan, what I was gonna ask was what you think about this. I have read that a person with a high percentage of fast twich mucles won't excel in distance events. Also, that they will benefit more from faster paced training. And vice versa.

Im thinking that I have a high percentage of fast twich muscles. Tonight I ran a 55 with no speed training, just distace runs. When I used to run track from 3-5 grade, my 100m time was 13.5 and I never lost a race! Then when I got to HS I started running distance events.

And listen to this...last year my 3200 and 1600 time was 11:42 and 5:16. This year, they are 11:19 and 4:53. Now thats both around 22 seconds for both evetns! I have done soo much base training, and little speed training. I thought I would excel more in the 3200...but perhaps I am truly a sprinter deep down inside? I was always the fastest kid in the class.

But then again, if I am a sprinter, the base training is still helping me soo much, but I think I am not in great speed shape. I havn't been doing strides after practice, which I am going to start doing!

Sorry for this long complicated post but I really want to get fast, and your thoughts always help me.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2001 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While it's true that that the percentage of fast/slow twitch fibers generally determines what end of the event spectrum you will be more likely to excel at, current research is finding that muscle fiber composition can actually be changed over time. Still, someone that is predominantly fast twitch will probably never do much in terms of slow twitch, no matter how many long runs they do in the hills...

It sounds like you've never really trained for speed, so you may well have some hidden talent there. But, as you said, the distance training is paying off. My first thought is mid-distance! Smile The 800 sounds like a perfect event for you, balancing speed and endurance.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2001 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I am most likely going to start running the 800 and 1600. Good bye 3200, unless we need points. This sounds crazy but hopefully I can run a 2:00 flat 800 with the right training. Maybe I'll even run the 400 a few times at dual meets to see if I can beat the "sprinters."
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2001 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can run 55 off little or no training, then you do have a good chance of running 2:00. 53-54 speed is usually necessary, but you're coming at it from the endurance side of things and can probably hold a relatively even pace.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2001 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I am going to ask my coach if I can start training more for the 800/1600. I really would like to stop doing the 3200 unless we need points, because I am the fastest 3200 runner on the team, but I am not a great 3200 runner, plus I don't like running it, my 1600 and down times are more impressive. But I would be happy with an 800 time of 2:05.

Your right, a 400 time of around 53-54 is needed, my team-mate ran a 53 in the 400 relay, and his 800 time is 1:59, and he has endurance, but not as much as me.

And guess what, today coach told me my time was actually 54.8. Smile

Maybe I can even become a great 400 runner, if I trained for that only. But my endurance surely helps me hold a fast pace.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2001 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, now I know your name. Smile

Don't get too caught up in exactly what 400m or 1500m pace equates to a 2:00 800m -- it varies by the individual. Those conversions are just rough averages. A 100/200 type that has just enough strength to hold on for a 50 second 400 might struggle to finish an 800, let alone run it under 2:20, whereas a 10k guy that can barely break 60 for the quarter could run under 2:10.

Dan
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2001 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, I registered the other day cause I don't want people to use my name.

Dan I really think that I am built like a sprinter. I am pretty sure I have a higher percentage of fast twich muscles, which can explain why I have a tougher time in XC and in the 3200. I have been running 50-60 mile weeks, and I train harder than most people but I am still not good as I thought I should be. But without much speed training, I can hang with good people in the 800, and do alright in the 400. Also my mile time is alright, but the mile is mostly aerobic so I might not ever be the best.

If so do you think I could still be good at longer events? It sucks, because when I think about it, I have less slow twich muscles, so all the distance runs I am doing benefit me less, meaning I have to put in more miles to stay competitive.

Also, that can explain why I run best when I use negative splits. It prevents my fast twich muscles from fatiging to fast in races.

BTW, MJSbossman= Michael John Sousa, bossman is my favorite wrester!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2001 6:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tricky thing to sort out is what your goal of "good" entails across different events, what it is being measured against, and which event carries your maximum short term and long term potential. Quite a few variables there...

From what you've said, I do think the 800 sounds like the best match for you. That definitely does not mean you cannot do well from 400 to 3200, just that you will probably excel in the middle. There are lots of good 400/800 people and 800/1500 people. You might just be one of those rare 800/3200 types. Smile

Dan
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2001 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean 800/3200 type? I am not that good in the 3200...I might be a 800 guy, that is pretty good in both the 400 and 1600, but best in the 800. I'll see by the end of the season.

I think I need to raise my Lactate Threshold, the main thing slowing me down in the 3200 races are lactic acid in my hamstrings.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2001 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just kidding around. The point being that it often takes several years, especially at the longer events, to get a good feel for where your true talents lie.

Dan
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2001 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guh, today I did terrible in my race. We raced an easy team, so it wasn't a big deal, and we were at their dirt track. My time was 5:02, but I felt cruddy, and tired. (but it was on a dirt track that sucked! thats 3 seconds a lap) My legs were tired, though my breathing was fine. I think I am just tired because this week I did a lot of distance runs, and I did 30 minute runs the 2 nights before the race, so that could have done it. Also yesterday we did an interval workout! 5x200 at very fast pace. And the day before we did in and out miles, 8 total. I am tired! And the last 3 nights I had less sleep.

So after the race I felt so bad the coach said I didn't have to do the 800. A while after I was done, I went for a 30 minute run with my injured team mate and I had a tough time doing it! Lactic acid was burning my quads and hamstrings, even at at a slow pace.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2001 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard interval workouts on consecutive days leading up to a race??? Yikes. Can't blame you for being tired... Smile

Dan
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2001 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus I am sick, the symptoms were clearer today. I have a very runny nose.

Oh yea, and the day before the interval workout, we did in and out miles, which was one mile medium-hard, one mile easy, and so on. And the day before that on a distance run, we ran up a lot of hill. My quads are dead today, I couldn't even lift them when I was doing this one strech.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2001 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might I suggest you look up a word in the dictionary?

recovery

Smile

Dan
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2001 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, what should I do if my coach has hard workouts? I think I know more than he does. Since I was so dead last week, I took 2 straight days off on the weekend, and on today's interval workout I felt great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: