Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Power Lung

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2001 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone has tried the Power Lung? Can anyone who has used let me know if it they think it is worth the $100.
TIA

[Anonymously Posted by: 'dv']

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2001 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok what the hell is Power Lung?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Mr. VO2 of 83.5']

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2001 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is a lung exerciser. It looks like a big whistle, but it has resistance. It is suppose to train your lung muscles. I've seen it advertised on a couple of sites.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'dv']
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 7:50 am    Post subject: Power Lung (NASA Astronauts) Reply with quote

Years ago, Ralph (my ultra-distance training partner) and I used to wear something called an "Altitude Simulator." Could this be it?

There were tanks that fit on the back and tubes that went to a face mask. The gizmo ruduced the amount of oxygen to what you would expect to find at 6,000 to 7,000 feet, and also filtered out excess CO2.

When we ran down the streets in Houston, Texas, folks thought we were astronauts from NASA.

The tanks were light, but the face mask was uncomfortable. None-the-less, it provided for one heck of a workout - expecially when worn running up and down parking garage ramps.

I used this thing when training for The Laurel Highlands Trail Mountain Challenge. Mike (Mad Dog) www.training2run.com
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Benji Durden (fairly accomplished US marathoner) describing the same gizmo a while back. I seem to recall he also described it as being rather uncomfortable.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 3:22 am    Post subject: Altitude Simulator Reply with quote

Somewhere (probably in a box under the bed), I've a magazine picture of (a much younger) me modeling an Altitude Simulator. When I find it, I'll post it - keep tuned.

While it's true, the thing costs $100 (or probably more now), that's still a lot cheaper than buying a ticket to the mountains and paying for a motel.

One other, even more important advantage the Simulator had, over actually being at altitude, is that you could train at the simulated 6,000 / 7,000 feet, yet sleep and recover at sea level. Mike www.training2run.com
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also a lot cheaper than buying an altitude tent.

Quote:
One other, even more important advantage the Simulator had, over actually being at altitude, is that you could train at the simulated 6,000 / 7,000 feet, yet sleep and recover at sea level.

Interesting. That seems to be the opposite approach of the altitude tents, where you sleep and recover at altitude yet train at sea level (or wherever you are)...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 8:27 am    Post subject: Train High or Train Low Reply with quote

My approach (and understanding) is to do endurance training at altitude, speed training at sea level, and sleep at sea level...if at all possible.

I may be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure that mountain climbers in the Himalayas, seeking to make assaults without oxygen, ascend to a temporary camp, then descend to a sleeping camp.

They continue this, in a leap-frog manner, until making the final assault. The secret seems to be to recover in a more oxygen-rich atmosphere. "Mad Dog Mike" www.training2run.com
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The common reference the past few years is to the "live high/train low" approach.

Quote:
I may be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure that mountain climbers in the Himalayas, seeking to make assaults without oxygen, ascend to a temporary camp, then descend to a sleeping camp.

I would assume that's more for preserving energy and making it through the climb than for maximizing the training effect. Smile

Dan
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 10:03 am    Post subject: Train High, Live Well, Drink Guinness Reply with quote

It is normal procedure (correct or incorrect) for many marathoners to head for the mountains of New Mexico and Colorado to train. The Shorter himself , if I remember correctly, trained in Santa Fe (I did too, but wasn't nearly as fast).

My dad used to say "salt is lousy on steak if you don't use it." The idea being, I guess, is any training method you actually stick with (as long as it isn't injurious) will work.

For people living and training at sea level, it certainly makes some sense to sleep in an oxygen deprived atmosphere. On the other hand for someone living and training at altitude, sleeping in an oxygen rich atmosphere would also make sense.

Providing one were a zillionare, he could train at altitude and sleep in a hyperbaric chamber (high pressure, high oxygen) - or he could do the reverse, according to your reading. Both would work.

Doing a Google search of altitude simulators, I find at least one that is built for exercising. However, as you suggest, most are made for sleeping.

In my own case, I live and train at altitude, and must sleep there as well. Alas. Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Powerlung sort of looks like a giant asthma inhaler. It is supposed be used during the day, not while you are actually running. I could see the benefits if a person experiences problems breathing right from the start of their workout, but that could also be attributed to a minor asthma problem (exercise-induced asthma, possibly). The Powerlung is certainly not going to solve any asthma condition. The Powerlung is for those that think they simply suffer from a weak breathing apparatus, like a weak diaphram. One of the things I remember from long ago is that its important to fully breathe out. Some new runners have problems simply because they have not established their personal breathing routine when they exercise. I have seen the Powerlung priced in the $80's.

Paul
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 4:30 pm    Post subject: Breathe Fully Out Reply with quote

Now that's a new one on me. Do you mean you should breath in, then exhale totally while running? I would think that would reduce CO2 beyond the critical level, and you would probably conk out after only a few breaths.

To me this ranks with forcing runners to keep their mouths shut and breathe only through the nose.

Some runners are even taught to breath in and out in a certain pattern - everyother step, or something like that.

I advise my students to keep their mouths open and suck in just as much air as they are naturally able, through every orifice that will accept it...but keep it natural and unforced.

Thanks for clearing up the actual purpose for using the lung gizmo. I just assumed it was used for producing a training effect. Silly me - I'd no idea it was really to help out people with "weak lungs." Of course, I also have no idea what the term "weak lungs" means. Lungs, after all are not made of muscle tissue. Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 4:33 pm    Post subject: Weak Diaphram Reply with quote

Oooops, sorry! You did say weak diaphram, not weak lungs. I take it all back. Sad SAD Dog Mike www.training2run.com
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess my explanation wasn't very clear. When a person is running at "conversational level" breathing isn't that critical, but when a person is training during those times of higher intensity, and breathing becomes much deeper, some people only concentrate on the breathing in portion and don't realize they are exhaling only half to two/thirds of their spent air. Some of these people complain they have run out of breath, when in reality they just need to correct their breathing habits. That doesn't mean a person should be spending 2 or 3 full stride cycles exhaling every single ounce of air in their lungs, but good exhaling habits set up good inhaling habits also.
In response to the original poster, I would be more inclined to spend the $100 on something else unless you've hit a definite roadblock and you have concluded this might be your breakout answer, or you have a lot of discretionary income and can afford a number of these gadgets as they appear. I'm sure the Powerlung is useful for some people, you have to determine if it is right for you.
I agree with you about unforced breathing, and I am not alluding to any unnaturally forced exhaling here. And the vast majority of runners do seem to develop normal individual breathing patterns.

Paul
training2run
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 6:28 pm    Post subject: Breathing is as Breathing Does (huh?) Reply with quote

Yes, thanks, that's much clearer. Very Happy However I don't believe one needs to concentrate on breathing at all - in or out. Just do what comes naturally, and keep your mouth open (which I do a lot Laughing ).

Regarding equipment, I agree with you completely: all you really need are a couple of pair of good training flats, innersoles, split shorts, a chart, and a love of running. Mad Dog Mike www.training2run.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: