FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Question

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2001 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan,

Last year before outdoor track season I trained a lot over the winter, I really didn't take that much time off between XC and then my winter training. I was able to bring my 800 time down to a 2:01, but I want to go a lot faster than that this year. I know I have the ability to go much faster, it's just that I don't know if I have enough time to get that fast (states is June 2nd). So that means I have less than 4 months to get into good shape. During XC season this year I had a bout with mono and I was unable to train for many weeks after XC due to extreme exhaustion during my runs. Then when I was about to get out there to train I broke my elbow slipping on some ice in the school parking lot. This took another 3 weeks to heal, before I was able to get out to run. Since track season starts in around 10 days and I haven't really trained any this winter, I was wondering if a 1:56 would be obtainable for this year. Or what you think I would be able to get. On training just for about a week I fell pretty strong, but I'm very worried about how my competition is going to do. I had a golden opportunity to win states this outdoor season and I do not want to see it fall through the cracks. Any suggestions on how I might be able to get down to a 1:56 in such a short period of time would be most helpful. I thank you in advance!

Your friend in running,
Mark

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Mark Wilkins']

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2001 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think all is lost - June 2nd is still a long way off. I think you should get a wall planner and stick on your wall, and draw in a training plan with the help of your coach If you have one). Then draw in a full, sensible plan you're going to stick to, because the tough part will be when all your opponents start posting good times and you're still training hard. You know that you're going to need a base period simply to get fit, then a transition stage (hills, some track intervals) and finally a pre race period of say 4 weeks where you will drop your mileage, do more intervals and do a few races to get your head ready. Don't try and dodge any part of this - if you go straight into intervals too early, you'll peak too early and not be strong enough to survive thro' June, but do it right and you have plenty of time.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Wayne Oxborough']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2001 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mark,

I agree with Wayne, although I would caution against doing any real planning at this point. With the amount of time you have missed due to illness and injury, the best thing you can do for yourself is to forget about competing and just get into shape. Thinking about June will most likely cause you to rush through the necessary preparations and probably get sick again...

Best of luck,
Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2001 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dan let me ask this. How do you peak? Last week we did 5x400, and in around 69-71(thats fast as I could go!). Will this make you peak to soon if you do interval workouts each week? I have heard people say it will. But I believe if you keep your mileage high and maintain a long run each week, you wno't peak. Also, how long do you think I can get my speed back? Last track season, I remember I ran a 65 on my last 400 in a workout, but that was in mid-late season. But I was slow last year, my 3200 time was 11:42! This season I think I can run a 10:30.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2001 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intervals are obviously more likely to lead to an early peak than are distance runs, but 5x400 is probably enough quantity that you don't need to worry about that. Peaking tends to come into play when you cut the quantity down enough that the majority of your training can be done at, or faster than, race pace.

The time it takes to regain speed and/or endurance varies tremendously from one person to another. Some people take weeks or months, other people only a few days. By incorporating strides into your off-season training schedule, there's really no reason to sacrifice speed and have to get it back once the track season arrives.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2001 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dan and Wayne thanks for the advice. I was wondering if say a good month of base building would be enough. Then start getting into uptempo runs and long intervals after that. Then after 3-4 weeks of that go into speed work. Would that leave me a legitimate chance of reaching my 800 goal (1:56)? Also I would like to break 4:25 this year, my pr from last year was 4:34. Thanks for y'alls advice.
Mark

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Mark Wilkins']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2001 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be a solid time table if you were already in good shape, but I think the base period might be a bit skimpy considering the circumstances. It seems that that time frame leaves a month to spare, so I would lean toward increasing the first two phases in order to cover your bases. That will also give you a better shot at your 1500 goal, which will require more endurance.

Dan
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2001 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea Dan sounds right to me. But when I ran that 65 it was towards the end of the season, probably in April. My problem right now is that my Lactate Threshold isn't great. Whenever I do a fast tempo run(maybe 6:00-6:30?), I get alot of lactic acid in my hamstrings and calves. But, I do not get out of breath, any my breathing is actually quite relaxed. I think my VO2 Max is much better than my LT, because I do alot of distance runs, and 90 minutes each weekend.

How can I raise my LT? I heard that once your VO2 Max stops expanding(mine is still growing!) that the only thing you can do is raise your LT. What can I do? Do you think I can raise my LT so high that when I do fast running, I get out of breath before my muscles get acid in them?

Some workouts I had in mind are:

6x800, 2 mile pace, 3 minutes rest bewteen
6x100, 5K pace, 3 minutes between
30 minute tempo run at the end of a 60-90 minute run
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2001 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hills. Smile

Dan
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2001 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you serious? By hills, you mean hill repeats? I run hills a few times a week, but on distance runs. I never do any hill repeats. Oh yea, and on the last reply I made, I mean 6x1000m at 5K pace. Smile Can you specify what you mean by hills? How long should repeats up a hill be? Remember I am running the 3200, sometimes I'll do the 1600.

Oh yea, and how will hills help, since running up hills uses alot of quad, while its my hamstrings that are burning!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2001 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never understood why people view slogging up hills on a long run as being highly beneficial. That simply contributes to developing the slow twitch, aerobic systems. What you are looking for requires breaking out of that rut and jacking up the intensity, which means short, fast hills that make you want to puke! Smile

Maximum distance of 200m, preferably 8-10x. Do 'em, you'll see...

Dan
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2001 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright Dan, hills sound good to me. I enjoy working hard til I puke, honestly. Anything that will make me faster, I will do. Plus where I run, we have plenty of hills. I know running up hills isn't great, but they do help a little, and it is better to do a 90 minute run with hills in it than no hills.

So 200 meter hill repeats, what would the mininum distance be? Can I do them after a 90 minute run? Because I really won't be able to do them when I practice with the team, but on Sunday my team runs, without the coach, and we run at a different area than school.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2001 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually disagree that a 90 minute run with hills is better than one without hills. In some cases it is beneficial, but in just as many cases it simply slows down your pace and has a similar effect to running a medium distance and pace every day.

The shortest distance for hills should be about 80m.

Dan
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2001 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.paragonrunning.com/frm_train_cont.htm
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2001 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gently rolling hills of lengths ranging from 50 meters all the way up to 800 meters (most about 100 meters) on
the uphill need to be incorporated 2-3 times weekly during base training. Trail running is also excellent provided it
is done regularly. This varied terrain easy running may be very slow, but it develops aerobic enzymes in the
quadriceps group, which ultimately improves aerobic capacity and allows for more training to be accomplished.
Both the uphill (concentric contraction) and the downhill braking (eccentric contraction) contribute to the aerobic
enzyme development in the quads. Knee joint integrity and muscular strength are also improved as long as the hill
running isn't done to excess.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: