Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
2 Mile Run Improvement

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2001 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I am looking to improve my 2-mile run time. I am currently running at around 15:30 and would like to get around 12:00. I was wondering at what distance I should do most of my training and how many sets.
I am also looking for running tips (like toe running). (I cannot believe how difficult it is to run for 15 minutes on my toes.) My best for 3 miles is 19:50, 400m is around 1:25 and for 800m is around 3:10.

Any info is appreciated.

Thanks,
Marc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2001 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Don't be too concerned about running on your toes. Probably you are a bit to slow to be able to run with optimal technique.
The easiest way to improve your performance is to improve your speed. If you lower your 400 m from 85s to 75 s you will improve your longer distances as well. Focus on speed by doing two "speed" sessions a week. By doing these sessions you will "learn" how to run, not jog. The rest of the week you should focus on basic aerobe running. I think you should avoid hard interval sessions for a while. Ex. of a training plan of 4 sessions a week:

Day 1: 5 x 200m, almost max. Rest: walk back
Day 2: Easy steady state running, 40 min
Day 3: 400-300-200-100, almost max. Rest: 4-5 min
Day 4: Easy steady state running, 50-60 min

Regards,

Gazelle
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2001 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Along the lines of not being too concerned about toe running until you are able to up the tempo sufficiently, even once you are accustomed to toe running, you will find that you have a certain pace that anything slower than that on your toes feels like you're bouncing up and down. Toe running is fast, but it's not efficient. In your case, I would lean toward focusing on mid-foot striking, which is the best balance of efficiency and quickness. Picture a nice light landing and quick spring into the next step.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2001 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the benefits of running on your toes? I have had knee trouble in the past and I have found that running more on my toes, even on long, slow runs, makes my knees hurt less. Why is this? What are the pros and cons for running on my toes?

Also, I can't help noticing Dan Kaplan's name on here...everywhere. First of all, this is a great web site! Keep up the great work! What do you do for training? Do you run races?

Thanks,

Sue
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2001 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Run-Down = Dan Kaplan's Run-Down Site. Smile

It started as a personal site and steadily grew from there, finally getting to the point where it seemed best to de-emphasize the personal nature. There are still remnants here and there...

I'm a somewhat over the hill runner who coaches and can't quite decide if the body has enough left to give the training another serious shot or if I should continue biding my time...

My guess would be that when you aren't running on your toes, you are over-extending your stride, impacting on your heels, and sending the breaking force (breaking your momentum) up your lower legs into your knees.

Cheers,
Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2001 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan. I just ran across this qoute. Thought I'd send it your way.

"Just remember, once you're over the hill you begin to pick up speed."
- Charles Schultz

I hope you can get back to training the way you would like to. Best of Luck to you!

Sue
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2001 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Sue,

Very nice. Smile Kinda similar to one a friend once told me, "running is just the process of falling forward and catching yourself."

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: