Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Girls: bunhuggers or shorts???

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2000 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is something to be said for the toughening effect (I know at least some Colorado high schools follow that theory with a good deal of success), but there's no reason you can't be just as tough while keeping your legs warm and more functional.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2000 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see how a girl who covers her legs with trousers or tights when it's cold can be as tough as one who runs in bunhuggers. In fact I think it's quite insulting to girls who always run in bunhuggers to say this.

Also I don't see why it's any mort functional to keep your legs covered. Provided you do proper warm-up exercises, which you should do no matter what you wear, bunhuggers are more functional because they have less drag and no risk of chafing etc.

Emma

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Emma Burton']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2000 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toughness is mostly in your head (as someone who wears shorts in knee deep snow, I feel quite confident saying this), so it's entirely possible that someone who is more fully dressed is just as mentally tough, only they got to that point through different preparations. Given two people that are equally tough and running on the same day, I would guess the person who's legs aren't numb will win.

I would also guess that the differences (between bun huggers and regular running shorts) in time which can be directly attributed to drag and chaffing are too small to measure in anything but the sprints. Again, I think any difference that is there is perceived. I would also say that anyone who feels they gain a benefit from their clothing might actually be hindering their mental toughness by placing their confidence in something unlikely to help them, similar to a superstition.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2000 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, you probably see things differently, being a guy, but a lot of girls would agree with Emma. It's like, if I can run in bunnies no matter how cold it gets then I would resent having another girl compete with me who's running in shorts, tights, pants or whatever.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Lisa K']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2000 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do understand what you're saying about the resentment, but my point is that it only makes you tougher to the extent which not running in bunhuggers makes you less tough. You can resent someone running in tights all you want, but you'll be resenting them even more if they are equally tough as you and their warm legs carry them to a faster finish... Now, if you're able to find extra motivation in the fact that they are wearing tights, then that might be a different story.

Would you resent someone for warming up before a race if you chose not to? They're simply doing what they feel gives them the best chance of doing well.

Dan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2000 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan, if somebody didn't warm up before a race they're storing up trouble for themselves. They will surely get cramps from lactose build-up. Any girl who runs in huggers warms up as well as anybody else.
If you run in huggers when it's real cold it's not that your muscles get cold, provided you keep on running. It's really the surface of your skin that gets cold. Plus you have to get over any body issues you have with the more form fitting uniform.
My point is not that I resent running against the occasional girl who wears shorts, tights, pants or whatever because I think she will be faster than me or in some way has the edge. Actually I think huggers give you a (small) advantage for speed. It's more that she's not being a lady, isn't taking her running seriously and it just trying to set herself apart.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Lisa']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2000 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"if somebody didn't warm up before a race they're storing up trouble for themselves."

One could say exactly the same thing for someone with little clothing on in cold weather.

"Any girl who runs in huggers warms up as well as anybody else."

And then abruptly cools off as soon as the running becomes important...

What you're saying is similar to what Emma was saying, and similar to sentiments that I hear often: It's not that wearing bunhuggers makes you faster, it's that people are so image conscious that they tend to make themselves slower by not wearing such an outfit. That is why that I maintain the toughness is entirely in your head, not outfit dependent. Overcome that issue, and you will find that keeping your body warm is advantageous.

Dan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2001 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going back to the original post, I wonder why anyone would worry about someone having "pervie" thoughts about them...?

And which thoughts are "pervie" and which thoughts aren't? And who decides? I'd really like to know...

And someone could have "pervie" thoughts about a nun (even in their supremely conservative clothes), and they (the nuns) certainly can't be blamed for that, nor should they worry about it...

Third, relax and enjoy...as Bob Dylan said in one of his many brilliant songs: "It's life and life only."

[Anonymously Posted by: 'River Jumper']
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: