Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
High School XC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ifax108
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:30 pm    Post subject: High School XC Reply with quote

Hey, I'm going to be running XC next year in HS. I want to do a lot of training over this summer and I have some questions.

First, what are some good running shoes? My shoes aren't that great, they hurt after a couple miles.

Second, what is your opinion on this training schedule?

Day1: Long run (6-10 miles) followed by push-ups and core exercises.
Day2: Go to Track. Sprint a 400, then run at my target 5k pace. (20:00-21:00) Repeat. Followed by push-ups and other core exercises.
Day3: Same as day 1
Day4: Same as day 2
Day5: Same as day 1/Time trials day.
Day6: Same as day 2/Work out at gym.
Day7: Rest/Light Swimming

So, what do you think about this schedule? Is it too much for a rising 9th grader?

Also, would you recommend lifting weights to train? If so, how often?

Thanks in advance.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The right training shoe differs for everyone. The first thing is deciding how much support/cushioning you want and what sort of fit, then narrow down the choices across brands. Go to your local running specialty store for help with that.

Strength training is a wise addition, but focus on exercises that have some correlation to running movement. Things like lunges, step ups, toe raises, back extensions, etc. Bench press and curls will give you a better physique but will do nothing but slow down a distance runner.

That schedule could work, and I like that you have 1 rest/x-training day in there, but it's a bit repetitive for my taste. When I put together a training schedule, it rarely has the same workout more than twice in an entire season, let alone a single week. The mileage seems okay to me -- I've had athletes your age doing 60+ miles per week in the summer -- so long as you've built up to where you can handle the 6-10 milers safely.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: