Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Any ideas?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:27 am    Post subject: Any ideas? Reply with quote

Ive got two weeks off inbetween indoor and outdoor track. As you guys know im switching to distance for the spring and for the next two weeks, i was planning on doing just aerobic workouts. Im gonna try and avg about 8-10 miles a day. Wat do you guys think?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't seen your full indoor/outdoor schedule and planned transition, but I would think that going easy (or resting) one of those two weeks would do you more good long-term. Although, you did miss some time with the illness, so you may be good in that regard.

Don't bump the mileage up too quick, otherwise you'll be fried in about a month. The general rule of thumb is to only increase your weekly mileage 10% per week. If you're putting in 25-30 min. per week, that won't add up very quick... In which case, work on the aerobic side of things by increasing one or two long days per week, rather than focusing on averaging 8-10 miles per day.

Dan
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i get your point. I dont think i need a break because of the time i missed with being sick and the shin splints. Ive been fully healthy for about two weeks. I took an 8 mile run today in about 62 min (before readng you post). Just to be clear, your saying i shouldnt inc. my mileage too much, i understand why. My mieage for the past few months has varied per week to say the least. After thinking i think ill take your advice, take two long runs a week (somewhere around 10, 12 miles?) and the other days only take like 30 min runs w/ a warm up and cool down, varying the intensity based on how i feel.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's the gist. Basically, take your high mileage week from sprint training and use that as the baseline to start increasing from. You can build a bit more aggressively from there, as you're used to lower mileage with higher intensity, and you'll be dropping the intensity down now for distance training.

Dan
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, my biggest week during my sprint training was about 40 miles, so ill do about 45 miles this week and then 50 next week. After that i go back to track and start training with the distance kids.
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds very sensible. Once you are sure you are feeling good with this one of the workouts I have always liked to do is a fartlek. Unstrustured or structured where you have set intervals at a higher intensity and lower. But again be comfortable with the increased mileage and then sprinkle these things in working your way back there. I think its great that even as a "sprinter" you were doing upwards of 40 miles seems like a good place to start from IMO
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol well i dont think im your typical sprinter, id rather take a long run then do some sprints. And that 40 mile week was during christmas break when i didnt have practice:D
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 40 mpw baseline does give you a great starting point.

Dan
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i had a really good first week of training. I got in 45 miles. I had two long runs of 8 and 10 miles. Next week im going to get i 50 miles and then the week after track starts up again.
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: