Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
overweight and dreaming of being a runner...

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sarahgirl81
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: overweight and dreaming of being a runner... Reply with quote

Hi all,

I am 27, 5'11...and 240 pounds. I have been dieting successfully for several months but I am ready to rev things up by adding in some exercise. I have dreamed of being one of those svelte folks that I see religiously running and winning races. I know I have it in me, but I do not know where to start. My question for you pros out there is:

1) Should I start by just walking and gradually add running in a little at a time?

2) Should I focus more on duration or distance to begin?

Any advice is good advice (as long as it is constructive...).

Thank you!

Sarah
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either run or walk, but do not jog at so slow pace that it ... hurts.
Go for ... 2 miles, and eat an extra apple only afterward. Call it a success, if you run for one mile out of two.
Be patient!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good for you. If you are just starting out running, take it easy at first. Try walking around the block or around a local track. Then as you get more comfortable with it, start jogging. As for concentrating on duration or distance, i would concentrate on duration. Good luck losing that wieght!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the above. Walk/jog is a good way to start out, increasing the jog to walk ratio as you get used to it. And duration is a safe bet, as that will ensure you get more and more out of it as your fitness (and pace) increases, without forcing it early on.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about distance now, you just need a certain amount of time; 30 minutes, 90 minutes, it all depends on where you're at now. Walking doesn't seem like a bad idea at first, but it's always good to start at your maximum potential. If you can jog for 30 minutes, then jog for 30 minutes, don't walk. If you start closer to your potential, you waste less time going at a slower pace and building up. If you absoluptely can't jog for 30 minutes at the least, then take a brisk walk, everyday. Exercise everyday, because even one day is crucial to making gains and yes, I do know that there are exceptions to this, but it doesn't apply to you.

When you walk fast, make sure it gets you out of your comfort zone. You don't want to feel a little warm, you want to sweat all the way. There has to be some pain to it. If you have health issues then I suggest you DON'T push yourself but I can already assume you don't have any because you mentioned you "had it in you," so yeah. Now no offense, but 240 is a fairly large number which greatly affects one's endurance unless you're really tall and big-boned. It wouldn't hurt to also cut back on the calories a bit too. To speed things up even further, I suggest you also lift weights. The more muscle you have, the more energy they burn. So right now you're doing 3 things at once to lose weight: decreased calorie intake, increased metabolism from walking/running, and a further increased metabolism from building extra muscle. Just remember, the biggest things that always gets the majority of people is consistency. You have got to exercise everyday. Don't get an ambition now and put it away after a few days. That's what happens when people get lured into buying some new bowflex machine or I don't know what. The next thing you know, it's under their bed and they're paying monthly fees for it.

Source(s): myself, http://womensdietandfitness.com/WDF/muscle-burns-fat/
...Guess what, it's for women too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you start closer to your potential, you waste less time going at a slower pace and building up.

Except that a new runner has no way of knowing what their max potential is, and the only way to estimate it initially is to overshoot... Not a good idea for a beginner.

Dan
sarahgirl81
Lurker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: thanks all Reply with quote

Thanks guys for the helpful info. I have made significant dietary changes which is why I have been losing weight. Last summer I actually weighed 270! So the weight has been coming off slowly but I am not "fad" dieting, I'm just trying to eat smarter. I never had weight problems until after kids, but then after becoming a stay at home mom....well lets just say hiking occurred less and baking ...well I got really good at it. But the past is the past.

So here is my plan,,,walk/jog daily, I am committing to one hour.

I have some weights and a medicine ball, so I will use those to incorporate some strength training...3 days a week?

Here I go......................

Wink

Sarah
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't consider that slow [weight loss] progress at all. 30 lbs in half a year is good work.

Every other day for weight work is a good approach. That gives you ample rest time and nets you an extra day every other week...

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree with what Dan is saying great job so far - the great thing here is that you are looking at it as a long term outlook there are no shortcuts. The more you work at it the more you get out of it. results come over time and you seem to be doing well. Good Luck
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
Quote:
If you start closer to your potential, you waste less time going at a slower pace and building up.

Except that a new runner has no way of knowing what their max potential is, and the only way to estimate it initially is to overshoot... Not a good idea for a beginner.

Dan

I was assuming that they could try it out. One doesn't know they can run for 30 minutes, so why not at least attempt it? I was told the same thing when I started running: "Take it easy, start slow." I got right on that treadmill and ripped through all of the 30 minutes. I have never ran that long in my life before. Anyways, it atl east saved me a week or two of building up to it. If I overshooted, I would've just backed down. It's normal, you go to fast, you slow down or stop running. It's not maximum race potential, it's just the maximum training potential. I'm not saying go out and travel the most distance you can by foot in 30 minutes. Every second counts in your pace when you train. If you're training at 10 seconds slower than what you can, then there is a loss in time. Time is crucial, people want to see gains fast. If they don't see anything then they lose motivation. I remembered that I posted a video from runnersworld about a man running for raising money. He was obese and dropped around 105 pounds within 2.5 months. I think it was this guy: http://www.runnersworld.com/video

Now he looks like some naturally-born ectomoprh. He started running .25 miles everyday. Yes, I said "started running." If he had to wait to build up or take it slow, then he would probably lose 105 pounds within 5 months. He ran the marathon in under 3:10 too and also ran 100 miles under 19 hours. http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-243-408--12944-0,00.html

He had no experience in running, not even marathon running when he ran those 100 miles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Attempting a longer duration and attempting a higher sustained effort are two very different things.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, to keep duration to at least 30 minutes and to find the best effort range for 30 minutes. I clearly said that if there are health issues, to not start out hard. Now I do agree with taking about 3 days to adjust. You know, to get those knee caps smooth as well as the pain of running. I've noticed that if you just go directly at normal pace, the run makes you feel more sick than exhausted. If people make it past the first 3 days or week, then it will be fluid from then on.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Right, to keep duration to at least 30 minutes and to find the best effort range for 30 minutes.

No, that's the opposite of what I'm saying... Start out with an easy pace and increase the distance as much as you can comfortably handle.

Your way -- trying to push the pace -- will lead to overshooting for most beginners and is a great way to get hurt.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok it makes sense. There is a dilimna for people overweight to get into running. They can either do 30 minutes slow, or run 1 lap max (maybe more). It's impossible to combine the both as opposed to just an ectomoprh starting out. That SEAL could not run more than 1 lap a day, but it would be possible if he walked for 30 minutes. Studies have shown that more speed increases metabolism more than quantity. You know, most overweight people get straight into long distance and they try to avoid speed. Speed does promote a higher risk of injury, but unless they know what they're doing, then they could avoid it. We have added effects of extra metatarsal stress as well as other bones, and side stitches. That guy got stress fractures in his metatarsals just from walking around...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Metabolic studies and ideal training zones don't really apply to beginners, however. There's no dilemma there. You just start slow and let the body adapt, then start adding components.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: