Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Relay question

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:52 pm    Post subject: Relay question Reply with quote

To any coaches who want to answer this question,

Which runner do you pick to be the fourth runner on a 4 x 2?

A: runs a 25.2
B: runs a 25.6

Seems like you would pick A, but what if runner A is a sophmore and runner B is a senior? Now which one do you pick?
Eddd the Sailor
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say you would still pick A, unless he runs very inconsistently because of his inexperience. If A runs consistently better, you'd want him.
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, A consistently runs better then B.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fastest runner almost always is the anchor unless there's a compelling reason not to place them there, such as consistency, practice time with the group, matching up size of athletes (tall to short or vice versa can complicate things), or putting someone good at both giving and receiving the baton on an inner leg instead of anchor. Experience is only of value if it's experience on a particular leg (otherwise it is trumped by speed), but even that seems questionable on a 4x200 where every leg is basically the same.

Dan
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooops i made a mistake, this runner would be running the third leg. For the record my coach has picked the senior to run the third leg and i am the sophmore. Apparenty my coach doesnt agree w/ traditional thinking that the 4 fastest 200 runners should be running the 4 x 2. Im assuming my coach is having him run the third leg solely because hes a senior and i havent mentioned anything to my coach becasue the kid thats running is a friend of mine and i want his last ever year of track to be a good one. I was just wondering if any coaches (other then my not so great coaches) make decisios based almost soley on seniority if the runners are close in talent.

Last edited by ssteve235 on Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the talent is too close to separate, I could see giving the nod to the senior. Still, I'd probably place competitiveness (i.e. big gamer) as a higher criteria. Some seniors are happier in a secondary role despite the age and experience.

Dan
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see what you mean by competivness and im way more competive then the senior is. It just bothers me a little bit that the difference between 4th place and 2nd place was half a second at our last meet.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Half a second is quite a bit in the sprints. That would be a huge margin in a 4x100, but 4x200's tend to get a bit more spread out due to few schools having even talent through four 200m runners.

Dan
Eddd the Sailor
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssteve235 wrote:
Apparenty my coach doesnt agree w/ traditional thinking that the 4 fastest 200 runners should be running the 4 x 2.
Wait, so are you in the relay at all?
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, im just running the 300 and 4 x 4
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question; someone mentioned that the senior might have more experience. If you compare the times, Steve is faster, so wouldn't he have more experience? Maybe it's just the talent, but then again, talent can make up for experience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only exception to the rule may be indoors at some points I have seen the fastest or in my case the most agressive runner in the leadoff position. sometimes its necessary depedning on conditions getting out there or at least making sure the team is in good contact when the times are close.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, tighter tracks with odd break points and handoff zones could change the strategy a good deal.

Dan
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AM_Runner wrote:
The only exception to the rule may be indoors at some points I have seen the fastest or in my case the most agressive runner in the leadoff position. sometimes its necessary depedning on conditions getting out there or at least making sure the team is in good contact when the times are close.

Im not sure what you meant by that? Are you saying sometimes during indoor, you should have your fastest runner go first in order to either stay competvive or get a lead?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's tougher to pass indoor, so establishing an early lead could be a good strategy.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: