Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Breathing Patterns?

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eddd the Sailor
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
1:1 is pretty rapid breathing... Do people around you mention your breathing pattern regularly?

Is 1:1 the same as 2:2? An inhale and an exhale do count as 2, right? I usually inhale on one foot and exhale on the other...

People do occasionally ask if I'm breathing all right during long runs. Maybe I actually breathe 2:1 more often than I think, but maybe I should more often. Usually, when I focus on breathing through my nose and mouth, it slows down a little.

(edited by Dan for quote formatting)
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you breathe through your nose, it takes longer for the oxygen to reach the lungs. It's like breathing with a filter. I've already went over nose vs. mouth. Breathing in through your nose just makes it less risky to catch some airborne virus or particulate matter. I only reccomend breathing through the mouth when running very fast. Actually a 5k race isn't fast but a 400-3000 is. There is no need to breathe like that during long runs. You put yourself at risk and also leave more time (thus the long run) for the risk to increase. You can utilize your lung capacity just fine by breathing through your nose during a long run.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eddd the Sailor wrote:
Is 1:1 the same as 2:2?

Same ratio, but different pattern. 1:1 would be one stride per inhale and one stride per exhale. 2:2 is two strides per inhale and two strides per exhale.

Quote:
I usually inhale on one foot and exhale on the other...

Every step or every stride? Shocked If you're breathing in or out on every footstrike, that would be 0.5:0.5! I think breathing on opposing legs is a bit unusual...

Dan
Eddd the Sailor
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, i see, it's inhale:exhale, not strides:breath, and a stride is one step off each foot. In that case, yes, I'd be .5 : .5... Confused

When I ran earlier today, I decided to focus on breathing. For the first mile, I was at my normal pattern, and for the second mile I decided to slow it down to 1 inhale and 1 exhale per stride. It felt pretty good, but I still had trouble controlling my breathing that way for a long period of time. For the rest of the run, I didn't try to control it (I ran 8 total), but whenever I thought about it I noticed I was switching between .5:.5, 1:1, and 1:.5 So I dunno, the pattern is kind of hard for me to control at this point, but I will keep working at it if it's beneficial.

Angelo Z wrote:
When you breathe through your nose, it takes longer for the oxygen to reach the lungs. It's like breathing with a filter.
Yeah, I don't actually breathe just through my lungs when I do that. I still breathe primarily through my mouth, but I try to leave my nasal passages open for a little extra air, if that's possible.
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it matter how you breathe if your doing shorter races, like a 400? When i run a 400 i dont worry about how im breathing, just trying to beat the other kids in my race
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sprints are anaerobic, which basically means without oxygen. Not entirely true, but as it suggests, breathing patterns are not a major concern. It's still important to stay relaxed, though.

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard a few in races that do breath that quickly or at least seem to although also to count your own breathing rate while running is a bit difficult - if I do concentrate on it - it possibly even varies slightly duringt the run. the thing I most consider is making sure that the lungs are fully emptied and inflated... 1:1 may lead to fairly shallow breathing and you may not be getting the all of the necessary airflow through your system... If ever I notice myself breathing shallow I try a real ddeep breath followed by a morfe forceful exhale...
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssteve235 wrote:
Does it matter how you breathe if your doing shorter races, like a 400? When i run a 400 i dont worry about how im breathing, just trying to beat the other kids in my race

Not at all. 400m isn't as crucial as the marathon in terms of stitches, economy, etc.

Here are the actual aerobic and anaerobic percentages for 400m-Marathon:

Anaerobic % Aerobic %

Mar 1 99

10k 3 97

5k 6 94

3k 12 88

1500m 23 77

800m 40 60

400m 57 43

It just comes out this way for some reason, I hope you can obviously still see which percentage goes with what.

http://74.125.45.132/search?q=cache:cxnbSHvUqYUJ:ustfccca.cstv.com/convention/seminars/chapman-mile-training.doc+1500m+training&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd=8&gl=us

It makes a lot of sense, if we really went by the anaerobic definition "without oxygen" then I don't think you could hold in your breath for 50 some seconds and still get the necessary oxygen to the working muscles. I think "with no oxygen" mostly applies to the 50m dash-100m.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Eddd the Sailor
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I have noticed that chewing gum on easy days while running (something I used to do a lot last fall) helps slow down my breathing a little, and talking with other people I'm running with helps a LOT (I noticed both while doing a 'midnight run' with a friend for New Year's). Fortunately, winter break is almost over, so I'll be running with people a lot more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: