Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Weekend workouts

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Weekend workouts Reply with quote

im a sprinter but my main race is the 400, wats a good workout to do on the weekends or on off days from prac? also wat other kinds of wieghtfting should i be doing beides just basic squats, calve workouts alternating w/ upper body work or is it that enough?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like getting too specific on weight work unless you're targeting an area that needs improvement. The basics, in addition to your running, will strengthen the body pretty well.

How much work you add on the weekend depends on how much you're already doing during the week and how well you're recovering from it... Add too much more and it could bury you, don't add enough and you'll be too rested and peak too early.

Dan
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well my practices during the week really arent that hard, so i can bascially do anything i want on the weekend.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your coach hasn't given you any direction what to do (or not do) on the weekends?

I would aim for something that's in between sprinting and jogging, maybe some moderate tempo work, long/mid-paced intervals, strides mixed with core work, etc. Work on your strength (in an aerobic sense) component while not fully departing from your fast twitch development.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan is right. Here is what happened to me today on Sunday: I usually just run everyday until I feel that my body is giving up on me. Then I take 1-2 days off, and start my long string of workouts again. Last Thursday, I ran my last workout and I felt like I couldn't go any further on Friday and Saturday so I took them off. Today I go run for 30 minutes but I finished with 20 minutes instead. I just felt like I couldn't go on for 10 more minutes so I just slap the bar of the treadmill and go home. I've ran for 30 minutes at that speed loads of times before. It's one thing to be a robot, and another to be a human...

Here is what I advise: always, always get a warm-up and a cool-down. Always make sure you workout 2 hours after a meal. Today I ran at 11:00 a.m. but I slept in until 10:30 so imagine I didn't have any energy. Weekends and weeks aren't that special. Your training should just go by Day 1, Day 2, etc. We still live by the no pain no gain rule or life or death, but a true athlete is the one that trains efficiently and rationally. Ambition is great, but too much of it can be harmful. Train on how your body feels.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah dan my coach hasnt advised us on anything to do on the weekend. for the first few weeks of the season ive just been doing repeat 4s and 2s on sunday while taking sat off, always w/ a warm up, stretch and a cool down and another stretch. i was seeing if their was any specific 400 workot that was good to do on my day off from practice. in response to wat angelo said, i alway do a warm up and cool down and thier is a difference between week days and weekends because every weekday i have track practice after school so i dont make up my own workouts. also i have one other question, at my first ever indoor meet last friday (im a sophmore and i only ran outdoor track last year, albeit not seriously until the last month of the year) i ran a 59 second 400, is a sub 55 400 a realistic goal to have by the end of outdoor track (june)?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not recommend doing any specific 400m workouts on the weekend. The reason being, you don't know what you're doing. I don't mean this in a negative way, just pointing out the obvious... If you knew what you were doing, you wouldn't be asking what to do. Smile And without knowing what you're doing, it's somewhat risky to tackle the intensity of race specific workouts on your own. That's best left to when you have the guidance of your coach watching over things. Thus my previous recommendation of low key workouts.

I've seen people improve 5 seconds in the 400m during the same season, so it certainly is possible for you. The more experienced you are, the harder those big improvements are to find.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree. Don't treat yourself nicely. Put that body through as much pain as you can, don't give up.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep in mind when taking Angelo's advice, he has yet to ever run any sort of a verifiable race... When it finally means enough to him to be taken seriously, he'll put his money where his mouth is. Wink Until then, there's no reason to believe that his recommendations are safe or sound.

Dan
ssteve235
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah ive figured that out from reading some of his other posts Razz
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conceited. About my ideas not being safe...this is why so many people don't go far with running. I have tortured my shins, I've ran on stitches, I've thrown up after runs and I'm still fine, and even better than ever. I focus on the relentless side of training, not the fairy way. Dan always gives you advice on being careful, I don't. I haven't ran many verifiable races because I don't have publicity. I can't go to state or regionals because I don't have publicity. I can't run track or XC after school because there are no late buses and my parents are busting themselves out working to bring in money. I've looked into this greatly. For example, if there was an all-comer race being held 50 miles away and It was my only chance to prove myself, I couldn't go. I can't jsut make my parents one day drive 50 miles for a race. You know what really makes the best runner? One that actually struggles to at least compete. Watch "Rudy" if you don't believe me. I see spoiled runners out there busting out weak times because their parents know how to bribe and go in debt. Steve, you brought up your stereotypical example of basketball relating to height and you say you find some of my posts ridiculous Rolling Eyes. I don't agree with going in and putting ice on that little bruise, I don't agree with taking it "easy". Steve, have you ever shed a tear or at least punch a wall as a result of a failed run? Have you ever sat in the shower for hours telling yourself you'll be great one day? Have you ever ran in negative temperatures with no coat on? Have you ever woken up at 3-4 breaking curfew just to get those 30 dang minutes of training and then going through hell once more after school? I think not, so please appreciate your conditions that others may lack.
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing, we can't deny the idea of no PAIN no GAIN that has been around for so many generations. If you go the safe way with running, you'll be overtaken by the reckless athletes. Primarily by those that have led hard lives such as living in Africa with a minimal education, maybe even having a couple of their family members shot. You can leave those ideas behind, the athlete you may be up against maybe running for his family, not for a superficial gold medal. This isn't something to be ignorant about just because we live in the U.S. The highest level of competition is international, remember that. You want to know another secret? Whoever puts in the most time and effort always wins. If you start to forget about friends, girls, etc. and purely focus on running like you were born for it, you'll conquer. One of my running rivals got a stress fracture while in a 5K race and had to wear the boot for 2 months. A few months later, he lowered his PB by over 40 seconds and 20 more seconds for the mile. Sometimes it's experiences like these that kick us into even better progression and motivation that is, if you're not a wimp. Our bodies don't run our minds, it's the other way around. Physical fitness plays a role, but that's only when you're up against overweight people.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem for you is, no one believes your conditions are as bad as you say or that your training reports are credible. If you've worked as hard as you claim, you would find a way to prove it. The opportunities are out there. I coach at a school with one of the highest poverty rates in the state (and deemed most violent each of the past two years by the federal standards), and we have lots of disadvantaged kids that find ways to participate. Some don't even have homes to go to after practice.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their not the worst, but certainly not better than Steve's. Have I ever told you that my family and I met another family at a church? No, that's not important. The important thing is that the husband's wife was a European champion in the 100m hurdles. Sadly, this was 40 years ago when Romania was still under communist/dictatorship control. Athletes had no oppurtunities, they were given a medal and then they were given a swift kick back in their behinds back home. She started smoking after that because of the disappointment. Her best time was a 12.8 at hurdles. Whatever, I wrote this again just in case you haven't caught it before. She used to run from a bus top to the other purposely missing the bus and then eventually catching up through sprinting. The point is that she will be helping me. Her advice is the same I gave to Steve. Run everyday and never give up, not even a bit.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a big difference between working hard every day and training recklessly... Rolling Eyes Until you've done more than just talk about running (your training itself doesn't count, because you've given us no reason to believe it's for real), you can't be expected to understand that. Talk about your training plans all you want, but don't tell other people how to train when you clearly lack the experience to be giving advice. That is dangerous.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: