Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Beginning runner experiencing hip pain--advice, please?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
singingsara
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:00 am    Post subject: Beginning runner experiencing hip pain--advice, please? Reply with quote

Hi there,

I'm new here and I just started running on a regular basis about seven months ago. I'm 27, and I recently lost about 20 pounds (I'm 5'1", so I was carrrying a lot of extra weight), and am still about 5-10 pounds over my ideal weight. I've been running 3-5 times a week in addition to cardio machine workouts, strength training and Pilates.

However, I've been experiencing hip pain for about the last week or so. I'm not sure what's going on, but I don't want to injure myself permanently. I'm taking a break from running until I figure it out (but I will be swimming and cycling to prevent getting out of shape--I worked too hard for it to go to waste now!) Any advice? The pain is in my left hip, near the front/outside of the hip. Nowhere else, no leg or back pain, just in that one isolated spot. I do notice sometimes that when I'm doing my Pilates, I feel a "popping" sensation (not painful, but there's an audible pop) in that hip. Anyway, any advice would be greatly appreciated. I'm worried that all my hard work will go for nothing!
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It could be quite a few different things, but my first guess would be tension in the IT Band, causing the tendon to pop as it rubs across the hip (hip flexor).

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get that problem from time to time mostly when I do sprints, but it has to do with form. Don't lean to the right or left, stay upright and erect. The pain will usually last about 1-1.5 weeks, maybe 2. I don't really advise to stop running though, because it's very easy to run through it until it heals. It will NOT rip your tendon or anthing, so relax.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the record, I disagree with Angelo's recommendation. Simply pushing through the pain will result in chronic injury more often than not. And it CAN result in more serious injury. Figure out the severity of the problem before writing it off as minor.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew you'd say that, but oh well. Just reccomending from my point of view, but at your own risk. Although, like I said before, posture is important. Form and flexibility. Even if you use correct form but your tendon is a little tight, it will still get caught on the bone. Besides your hip, you can also have trouble with your ankles. I had a chronic injury in my ankle that lasted for about 6-7 months. Everytime I was taking my jeans off to change and they got caught on my heel, I felt pain in my ankle. I didn't do much about it besdes persistent running until it eventually wore off. Some people can continue their injuries and heal, but others can make it worse.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: