Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
My First Ultra

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: My First Ultra Reply with quote

Yeah I am nuts with honestly no real training I went out and did this...

"OK well I did it. Ran my first Ultra distance yeah its only 4 miles longer than a marathon but hey it counts - running through the swamp - what an eventful day... First off I started out very easy but it was so hard to keep things relaxed - it really was beautiful not all that hot little humidity and running through the course was great.

It was about a 2.5 mile loop through the forest and through a clearing 2 aid stations one at each end of the course and all were well stocked with water and Gatorade. From the dirt parking lot where it started you would head out along a dirt road for a bit and then loop to where you would hop in to single track. The course then wound between trees and over roots and a couple of small boardwalk type bridges, the ground was dirt, pine needles and twigs and leaves except for the few parts where there was sand - and of course that was one an uphill slope which was fun... The only good thing about that is that you knew when you were getting closer to the aid station at the far end... it was difficult to pass on sections but people were pretty accomadating. Once passing the aid station there wasa bit more room on the trail and you eventually come out onto a clearing which leads to a nasty narrow little section that has a oh instead of a sandy hill a gravel one woo hoo.. and then on to ABBA corner - somebody had a radio there playing ABBA for the whole race... so I kept trying to guess what song it would be before I got there...

My original plan was to kind of take some early walk breaks - yeah like I was actually going to do that - I did slow down through the aid stations but didnt start walking them until later...

I wound up tagging along for a while with Jen (the person from Thursdays who told me about the race) and a guy named Saul we did the first 2.5 laps together and then somewhere in the third lap I wound up in front of them which I knew was a bad idea - but they were gone and I didnt see them, so I kept trudging along during lap #4 I ran with another thursday guy Schuler or something like that but he was running the 25K I found myself picking up the pace and then told him to go on that I should slow down... Jen wound up repassing me at lap 7 and I didnt see her again till the end I could tell she was in for a good race her nearest competitor I did not see until lap 10.

My splits were
20:08, 20:23, 20:02, 19:50 (1:21:25 10 miles), 21:16, 20:58 (2:02:40 15 miles), 22:00 (started walking a bit at the aid stations to keep hydrated), 22:01 (2:46 - 20 Miles), 23:15, 24:11 (3:34:09 - 25 miles), 24:47...

Yup that was Lap 11 - mid way through the lap it started raining a bit - I heard some thunder as well maybe one or two times as I cam in to start the last race we heard that the rangers called the race off... and forced us to finish then - so I did bitching up a storm I waited around talking with some people and decided I got this far what are they gonna do - so after 4-5 mins (watch still running I saw Schuler and Tara (first time I had seen her) and they said Jen had gone up the road as well so I went and did the last lap anyway. Finished up by 4:26 - so I took 2 mins off what the time was for the log because I was spending say 1:00-2:00 mins at the aid stations at that point but feeling good but tired, sore and chafed everywhere.. last lap 27:07 (I gave myself 25:07 instead.

all in all a really good time and a lot of fun! "
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool. Is that your longest run ever?

I don't think I've ever heard of a race that long made up of loops that short.

Where's Micah when we need him...

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

25 miles in 3:34? You must of used to train long ago right? What event are you really best at?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really sure I understand your question...
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm assuming you used to train before because you ran 25 miles in 3:34. You didn't train *now* as you mentioned, but you got that good somehow. I was also curious besides your ultra-what are your other PBs like the mile, etc. I think there's a secret hidden around here Smile
I'm saying that's a pretty decent time for 25 miles, and could be slightly faster too if it was just 26 miles.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's trained plenty, just not for that particular event/distance.

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh ok, I understand. Nice job on your ultra Smile
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup as Dan said - I have been running and competing for a while... Basically I can say Ihave competed in one way or another in every event from the 100 up to the marathon prior to my first 50K - so 100, 200, 300, 400, 800, mile (I never ran a 1500.. hmmm something I need I just thought of that it was only the mile for me back in HS...) 2- mile, 3000, 5000, 10000 - 300 IH, 400 IH, Long Jump, Triple Jump, High Jump... so I guess I need some throws now haha... on th eroads I have run 5K, 8K, 10K, half- marathon, marathon... and now a 50K trail to go with all the XC distances... woo hoo...

Yeah Dan longest run ever this 50K - I had not really been training for it just in the buidld up for the fall marathon and XC season. I will be running the Marine Corps this year. my longest run since Boston in the spring has been in the 14-15 mile range - so I just doubled it...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see a double decathlon in your future...

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: