Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Mid-Distance Depot
Shin Splints?

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 9:13 am    Post subject: Shin Splints? Reply with quote

We all have them, we all hate them. I want to get rid of shin splints without resting until my actual rest day comes. Every since I have been forming lumps over my tibia and I am worried about stress fractures can anyone help? Is it ok to put grip tape on while running?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://run-down.com/tips/tips3.php

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazingly I have been able to never get shin splints ever again. I use athletic grip take around my shin when I run, and it keeps the muscles in place so they dont twist, then I put ice after workout. Although sometimes I wrap them too tight and my achillies tendon kind of hurts (which it never did before.) What should I watch out for if my achillies tendon hurts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not treating the problem, you're just masking it. That sort of approach typically leads to other problems. Neutral

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent had any other problems like shin pain when walking that could mean a stress fracture. And when I apply pressure on my shin the next day I don't feel anything anymore as I always used to. My shins hurt directly after and during a workout, but not the next day.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say it will cause immediate problems, just that other stuff down the road is likely... Do it your way, though. What do I know? Wink

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you never said the actual specific problems in a manner thats not so mysterious. By the way my running rival is now in a big black boot all the way to his hip on his left leg, because he got a stress fracture and then later it turned to a compound fracture. I asked him and he says he never put ice or compression to try to treat the shin splints. What kind of problems are you talking about that might form if I am "masking" my shin splints? Stress fractures? Ligament problems, etc.? The only thing I noticed was right after I run I see a bump over my shin, and the next day it is gone. I talked to my doctor and he said that if it was a stress fracture you would feel pain in your shin any time, when walking, etc. But I would still like see from you what problems I can get anyways.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing specific to say, because you won't know the problem you've caused until after the fact... It's a general rule of thumb that prevention is a much safer approach than masking. Just like wearing a knee brace weakens the surrounding muscles ... you're better off trying to correct the problem.

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SHin splints per say can be caused by multiple things there are actually even different types of issues that can be classified as shin splints... but this is not an anatomy lesson.

IF (and that should be stressed) you really are having shin splints and you are injury masking Dan said you might be - it is about the worst thing you could do. It is akin to the a Linebacker going in at half time and getting a cortizone shot to dull the pain then going out and playing the second half - sure he may well play fine but there is also an equal chance of destroying his knee and never playing again.

This is not to say this is what is happening - but just a warning. Figure out what is actually wrong when you dont wear the bandage - perhaps that gave you enough support to get your legs strong enough to handle the additional load perhaps not. You state you want to run long term - I sincerely hope you do but to do that you need to use your head.
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I tested out the problem, and the problem is my shin muscle. It doesnt stay stable when I run and It puts too much stress on my bone. With the bandage, I hold that muscle in place and stable rather than wobbling around when I run. You might say if I am masking the injury you dont feel the pain right away, but isntead over a week. I havent felt any pain when walking, etc. for months. I dont think an injury can stay hidden for months then one day your shin breaks.
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i doubt your shin which is a bone would not "break" because of what seems like a muscle imbalance. Wouldn't it make more sense to sterengthen the muscles that are weak so that you would not have to continue wearing some sort of sheath on your leg to support it?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I'm talking about...

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have tried shin excercises such as walking on my heels, jumping on heels, heel pulses, etc. I think running is the way to go, because at first you start out with problems related to injuries then slowly you dont get any more cramps, shin splints, etc.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If running brings on a problem, how exactly would running more solve it?

Dan
Angelo Z
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adaption? I started getting bad blisters at the beginning on my feet, and yeah you are right running made the blisters worse, but after time they turned into caluses and now It doesnt hurt anymore. Rather than avoiding shin splints, Its really obvious now that my shin is much strogner than before at high impact, and I didnt do shin excersises.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Mid-Distance Depot All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: