Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Health & Nutrition
Sleeping habits

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2000 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a concern that I've yet to see any information about. I just recently started running - and I am completely addicted to it. I run about 6-8 k every second day or so, with races (trail-running) 8-12 k every second weekend or so. In addition to this, I am trying to train for longer races, and sprint triathlons. My problem is, is that on days that I run, I have relatively bad night sleeps. My leg muscles twitch, and unconsciously contract and relax repeatedly as I try to fall asleep. I also wake up in the middle of the night, finding my legs doing weird things (moving, twitching). I also find that I am "running" the route that I completed that day in my mind (I knew this might happen at first, but thought it would go away). I thought that the more I exercise, the better nights sleep I would have, but I'm actually finding the opposite. Does anybody else find this? What can I do to naturally relax by mind and body.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'melissa']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2000 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, it sounds like you've got a few things going on. Are you doing a proper cool down after your workouts, i.e. lots of stretching and easy jogging (as opposed to finishing up hard and abrubptly stopping)? Also, exercising too close to bed time will make it hard to get to sleep for a lot of people.

The mental part is tough. It sounds like you're doing too good of a job visualizing, which is a difficult technique to teach people. Once I have things going through my mind at night, it's impossible to consciously get rid of them. It's like telling someone to stop thinking, then they have to think about whether or not they are thinking... The best I can suggest for that is to do whatever works best for you to relax before going to bed, and don't go to bed until you are quite sleepy.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2001 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are naps good? i heard one thing and another. What do u think and if any, are there benefits on runnning

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Dan Dobra']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2001 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need the sleep, and assuming it doesn't throw off your nightly sleep schedule (and isn't taken too close to running time, making you sluggish), then a nap certainly would be beneficial. I can't take a nap for less than 2-3 hours, so it screws up everything for me for the next couple of days...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Health & Nutrition All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: