Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Is a running partner necessary?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2000 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering if a running partner was necessary to be your best? Do they top elite runners always have partners or they mostly run on their own?
thanks alot

[Anonymously Posted by: 'cory891']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2000 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both. Depends a lot on the person, but it's pretty rare to find people who train better on their own. I've heard of a lot of elites that train more or less alone, but that's a different situation. They generally have dedicated one on one coaching, are not in a school environment where there is a group to run with at a scheduled time, are often too good for anyone to really be able to push them, and sometimes are too competitive to run with people wisely in practice. The Brazilian coach (drawing a blank on his name right now) who coached Cruz and Barbosa often had his elites do their intervals separately for two reasons -- to keep them from cmompeting in practice and to teach them the mental aspect of running alone in front of the pack. Still, unless you're #1 in the world, it makes sense to run with someone faster and be forced to improve in order to keep up.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2000 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I run Cross Country in High school, and because I want to be good this season, I am motivated enough to run on my own and work hard on those runs. If you have enough motivation, you might not need a training partner. But, having a parter run with you sometimes can be fun, especially if you run with a group of friends, and it allows you to see how you compare to other runners.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2000 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got the motivation, you're probably ok. Still, I maintain that most people would be better off with a good training partner, even if they think they are working hard on their own. The body can always be pushed slightly harder than you think possible. If nothing else, the challenge of running with and against others can distract you from the pain you are in. Wink

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: