FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Marathon Training

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:45 am    Post subject: Marathon Training Reply with quote

OK I promised it and here it is... I welcome all comments on the schedule I have laid out here.

A few comments to add on it I have included all possible races there may be a few on there that do not get run based on training and possible other things. Its a schedule I will try hard to keep - of course I blew some of todays run this morning by oversleeping so I only got 6 on a trail instead of 8-10. it can be made up at a later time this week or maybe even a second run tonight.

I do try to get many of the runs in one run but there are certainly going to be times when things are broken up.

The Thursday runs are with a group that runs here in Princeton - it wonds up being pretty hard and well lets say I get dropped most of the time from the fast group but hopefully over time I can eventually hang longer...

I have most probably two trips in there - the one to Seattle is noted we shall see if I can score a car then maybe I can get down to Oregon for a run or two - otherwise I found a race in Seattle that weekend I am there.

Most probably I will be in Denver at som epoint for a week in Sept. altitude training woo hoo (not really I will be there for work) more like it will hamper the training mor ethan anything.

There is certainly room for suggestions and tweaking if folks have some comments.

Well have at it and be gentle - LOL nah rip me to shreds if you like. Hope it helps me, provides a good point for discussion and hope it helps others as well.

http://www.run-down.com/AM_Runner.pdf
S_Fox
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like a decent training plan and should build you up to the marathon nicely. I always find training runs over 10 miles very tiring and a bit boring. Do you have any ideas how to make the longer runs a little more interesting. I have found that running with a mp3 player helps.

Also you may consider doing some decent hill training to build strength.

Goodluck with your marathon training
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do many of my 10 mile runs over hills actually running the roads here its hard to avoid them... but when I want to I have basically a 50 mile flat dirt road that served in days gone by as a canal - towed by mules... well marked and nice and soft.

But yes I do agree I need some hill work in there I will make sure to add some specific hill workouts in... thanks

It depends on the day there are plenty of days for me that a 10 mile is nothing and others where it is a struggle - when the fall comes its always easier to get out in the cool crisp air and run - mp3 player - just doesn't work for me - I have tried it with a treadmill and can probably do it there but over all I just like to hear whats going on - anyway I always have some tune going on through my head and I have been known on occasion to sing whil eout running haha - but only when I don't see any one around.

Other than that I do things like surges at different points (especially on hills) and run part of the run alone and meet up with someone or run the whole thing with a firend...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like you need a few more miles the week of 9/3... 9/17, too; perhaps others. Are you concerned primarily with day to day mileage or weekly mileage? I'm guessing the weekly numbers are just rough targets.

The balance of miles and paces looks good, from what I can see. My only suggestion would be to keep the mileage at 70 the week of 10/15. Get some consistency at the 70 mpw mark before cutting back for the taper.

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I thought of that especially the week of the 17th however that race at the end of the week is one I wante dto run well at hopefully break 1:30 so I was giving myself a mini taper there...
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a hard time understanding Thursday's w/o. What does PRC stand for?

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That one had me stumped initially, but I figured it must be short for Princeton Running Club. Question

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes good sense. T-HMP would then be a half-marathon paced tempo run with the Princeton Running Club.

What is AT pace?

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you guys had it - hence my long description at the start of the post

Its actually Princeton Running Company (thats where the runs start) and it was more a list of possible paces based on what thr run winds up at that time some days its more like Half Marathon Pace other days its more like Tempo pace whatever it is its usually pretty quick...

AT is what this one coach I knew called about 15 secs slower than your MP so I sort of stuck with it... most of my daily runs usually wind up there anyway so its not all that relevant probably.

After all that terrible weather today was just glorious the only way to describe it - out at 4:45 this morning it was actually feeling cold - clear skies big bright full moon, sparkling stars the out and back was over rolling terrain an dthere was an easy 2 miles on a flat surface in the middle... just a great day to be out there today...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: