Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Open Mic Night
Nike and labor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2000 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From Runner's World online:

"Nike is now Vietnam's largest employer, with 42,000 workers in five factories manufacturing shoes and clothing. Employee turnover is very low, fewer than one in 200 per year, maybe because the $53 per month pay of the typical Nike worker is about twice the salary of the average government official."

And how does that fit with the bandwagon people's sweatshop accusations???

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2000 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the real question should be: is the % of a vietnamese government official's real income that comes from bribes and 'campaign contributions' greater or less than that of his/her US counterpart?

Wink

[Anonymously Posted by: 'magpie']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2000 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that's a quality research project! Just think, if government officials double their income under the table, they could proclaim themselves as wealthy as the factory workers...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2000 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing that "salary" is the operative word here . . . heh heh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2000 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

something rather interesting and revealing . . . an actual first-hand account:

http://www.boulderweekly.com/archive/060100/coverstory.html

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2000 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for passing that along. My first rule of thumb is to never trust anything you read on the net unless you know the source... Still, it goes along with what I've said all along. Nike's labor practices may not be pretty, but anyone who makes them the poster child for sweatshop labor is every bit as hypocritical and undeserving of sympathy. Nike may be big in the athletic market, but I doubt they're the dominant player when it comes to general Asian employment. It's naive to think they can right everyone else's wrongs, even if they wanted to.

Dan

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2000 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good points. i'd like to point out, however, that the boulder weekly is actually a print media source first (and a highly credible one, at that) with a website to mirror their publication.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2000 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

er, and "I doubt they're the dominant player when it comes to general Asian employment" doesn't exactly jive with the headline/article which you initiated this thread with, fyi.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2000 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, both good points. However, I don't know where Vietnam ranks in terms of overall Asian labor force. I would guess some combination of Indonesia, China, Korea, Taiwan, and possibly India and Japan would dwarf them.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Open Mic Night All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: