Training Talk
Paul owes us a training update...

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8x800 today with 60 second rest; same workout as 6 weeks ago, but with the course adjusted +30m (~8 sec).

3:20 3:18 3:18 3:16 3:16 3:15 3:13 3:02 (3:15 avg)

Paul averaged 3:07 last time, so nearly identical overall despite claiming to still be wasted from Monday's workout and unable to go as fast.

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Paul is making me look bad then for sure - nice workout Paul!

I decided today to throw some 800's in in the middle of a workout with a one lap jog recovery I wound up with 4 but I feel I could have maintained for 6 probably not 8 though

2:57, 2:55, 2:54, 2:51 with about 4 mile warmup at say 7:45 pace and a 3 mile cool down at a slower one it was a workout I was pleased with.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good quality and consistency. Thumbs Up

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dan I am getting there - I guess I should update folks on my training to this point in my own thread eh?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6x1000 in the park today. Cooler weather than we've been having, but higher humidity. Everyone seemed a bit flat, Paul included.

4:16 4:12 4:12 4:13 4:22 4:15 (4:15 avg)

The perfect even/negative splits finally came to an end... He'll be looking to bust out a 3k/5k combo Thursday night, though, so a shot at redemption is just around the corner.

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul ran the final 5k of the summer series last night, after a long delay in heavy traffic and check-in lines, still managing a fine 20:44. Splits were 6:35, 7:08, ~6:15. I've suspected iffy measurement of those mile marks, and each of the groups, including Paul the master pacer, didn't feel they slowed down much at all in the middle. I would guess that middle mile is 20 seconds long and the 3rd mile that much short.

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

32 minutes of hard/medium segments today with a hard 400m to finish, plus a 20 minute warm-up and cool down and some ab work. Not a bad follow up to the 60 minute run Paul did with me in the woods yesterday in Portland.

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you run your hard/easy segments as a fartlek? In other words...32 minutes of continuos running consisting of the hard/easy segments.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I fully understand the question, but it was continuous, alternating between hard and medium tempos. (No easy!)

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah...that's what I meant. I guess it could be considered a fartlek type run.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what Micah is alluding to is the very original format of the Fartlek workout, which was a 30-45 min steady state run with unstructured surges of 1-5 min thrown in throughout. There was no real recovery pace. You would just go back to steady state running until you felt like surging again. The last couple of decades has seen the structured fartlek becoming favored over the traditional one. Made even easier by watches with coundown timers, we now have all kinds of workout combinations. Those who have looked at AM Runner's pdf file workout in his training thread can see he has listed 4 different kinds of fartlek workouts.
For the kids, this workout was not easy to grasp. They are used to steady running or intervals. Also, paces other than one mile, two mile, 5K, or EZ run are foreign to them. At this point, they would not know quite what 10K, HMP, or MP meant, or how to apply them.
My opinion of the workout: the group I ran with ran just over my 10K pace for the hard segments, and just over HMP for the med segments. We moved out a bit faster on the last 2 hard segments and brought them under 10K perceived effort. I would put the distance covered as minimum 4.5 miles in 34 min. This includes a 400m finishing kick at the end. ( I started at about the 32:30 point ).

"Gaunt is Beautiful" Cassidy's T-shirt
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an excellent workout and an excellent description of the original concept of the fartlek run and what it has evolved into.
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Micah!

After Tues w/o, I took 2 easy days of 7 and 9 miles. Yesterday's 9 mile w/o had 6 250's interspersed throughout. I cover the 250 in about a minute, I figure, but I have yet to time one.
Today, I revisited a signature w/o that I've mentioned before, anywhere from 12 to 20 400's with a very short 15 sec recovery jog. I did 16 of them. I wanted to see how this w/o fared after all the great training the last 2 months. But I didn't want to go overboard since I am pointing to a 10K race in a week. The normal w/o covers the 400's in 1:45. This w/o was a breeze. I ran smooth all the way through, not pressing at all. Didn't begin to really feel it until about the 12th or 13th. After the first few, I started inching my way down to 1:41 - 1:42 range. The main body of the w/o should have taken 32 min. I finished in 31:15. Threw in a couple of 150's after. Two mile warmup and cooldown for another 9 mile day.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done. You might just shock yourself in the 10k next week. More speed, more endurance, better recovery, and better relaxed cruise pace in between.

Dan
Paul
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dan, I hope so. Last year's race had perfect weather. I was in excellent shape for it and I also had the fortune of running with a small group that was clicking off 6:45's, 6:46's. I managed to stay with those people through mile 5 where we encountered a pretty decent hill, and I started to lose ground. Managed to hold on for a 42:10, which was a huge 68 sec PR.
By the way, best race last year was the Lake Run. I beat people there that had beaten me by over 2 min at Shamrock. When I told Dan this was possibly my best race ever, he said to me in his usual understated manner, "best race and Lake Run are not usually two phrases you will find in the same sentence". Shocked

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: