Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
shoes with narrow heels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tralfamadorian
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: shoes with narrow heels Reply with quote

Hello.
I’m a male runner suffering from an injury in the toes of my left foot which causes me to require a wide, large toe box. Unfortunately, I have extremely narrow heels, and so it is difficult for me to find shoes even when I am uninjured. I have found that my heels are fairly stable in mizuno wave riders, but that this shoe does not seem to be wide enough in the toes. Does anyone know of a shoe with comparable heel-width, but a wider toe? I would appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know of any shaped like that. Your best bet might be a padded insert of some sort for the heel or socks with more cushioning in that area.

Dan
JM_Runs
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Try a womens shoe, from NB, avalible in diffrent widths. Reply with quote

For narrow heal, try the WOMEN’S version of the shoe. Women normally have narrower heals for the same length. Watch out because the women’s size numbers are different. So you may fit in a women’s size that will be numerically bigger than your current size, and in a wide, maybe E or EE width.

Check out the New Balance line. Each shoe from NB can be had in every width. For example I take a size 10.5 with a large toe box, and so have them in both E and EE widths. If they don't have it in the width you need you can order it.

Do find out what sort of last you need. You may just need to switch between a shoe built with a stright or curved last.

Find out if your feet are the same size and width. They are probably not. You may need to order one shoe of one size and one of the other.

Go to a 'Running Store' that deals with runners. If you don't know any where you live, ask the local running clubs. Some place where the staff run, all stuff in the store is for runners, and they let you test run the shoes. You want a store with good staff, who really know running shoes, people who fit lots of runners every day.

My local store lets us run up and down out side to test run shoes. If you can go late in the day after you have been on your feet for a few hours, and take a friend who can watch as you test run the shoes.

Take your old shoes so the staff can examin the wear and take a clean pair of the same socks you use for running. (So you get the right fit of foot and sock.)
JM_Runs
Lurker

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For more info on shoe fit try this for info:

http://www.nbwebexpress.com/achieve_more/shoegear/shoegear_print.asp

If you have problems with your feet DO NOT get shoes from the web. Do as I suggested above, get your self to a knolagable running shoe store where you can be fitted, and test run the shoes.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is, he's trying to find something with a different fit front and back. All the models I'm familiar with are either wide or narrow front and back, not a combination of the two.

Dan
Fry the Sailor
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have narrow feet as well and require an bigger toebox as well due to my flexibility in my toes. I wear the asics fortitude.
dancingqueen
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend who had a similar problem and she seemed to have luck with asics...i think my heels used to be more narrow and i used to wear adidas all the time, but then they grew into the rest of my foot! ha!

i'm a pronator, big feet and have a hell of a time finding shoes. my last attempt was with brooks, but i didn't really love them...i also have super supe r super flat feet. impossible to fit! Mad
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the off chance that you're still following this topic, there are some shoes that come in different widths where they only change the width of the forefoot. This is generally considered cheating on the part of the shoe company, but it may be a good thing in your case. I don't know any specific models as nowadays I'm not in the running shoe business, but your local running store might be able to help.

Also, they may not be wide enough, but most adidas shoes are known for having a narrow heel and much wider forefoot, so the supernova cushion or adistar cushion might be worth a shot.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured if anyone here would know, it would be Graeme!

Is it considered cheating because it's a cheaper way to alter the width, not having to change the entire shoe?

Dan
graeme
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, I believe so, and in most cases it's better to have an alteration in both heal and forefoot width.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: