Training Talk
Kenyan training methods

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would hope it was possible for a person to earn credibility through knowledge of the subject being discussed.

I have no idea what Micah Ward does for a living or what his running back ground is but he has earned credibility with me from his knowledge of Ultra marathoning.

I don't know of Conway coaches or not but he seems to know his stuff when it comes to sprints.

Obviously Hammer knows what he's talking about when it comes to distance running.

I have come to these conclusions based on what they posted on this board not by their screen name and I hope everyone here has the ability to do the same.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Confused OK ... I am confused ... What is the big deal ?? Where is the problem here ???

I haven't seen or been part of any name calling ... I am certainly not angry ... I am somewhat amused ... Only because I have never seen such "brisltling" at the thought that maybe - just maybe - there might be a better way .. Because after all that is genereally how progress is made ... Didn't mean to upset folks ... Didn't think it was that big a deal ...

Not sure why so much animosity towards speed .... Speed is essential to all facets of the sport ... The best event going - the shot - while dependent obviously on stregnth, is almost as dependent on speed across the ring (or in the rotation depending on the technique used ...

I can take any event in track and field and show you where speed is a viable component ... Nature of the sport ... It farther , higher, faster ... NEver seen anywhere where slower was in vogue ... And I say that tongue in cheek ... Sort of ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I would hope it was possible for a person to earn credibility through knowledge of the subject being discussed.

It is. I didn't say zero credibility, I said greatly reduced. That's common sense. People who are unwilling to share their identity come across as having something to hide, so why should what they say be taken at face value?

Like I said in the private message, it's up to you (and others) if you want to remain in that generalized anonymous group. If you choose to step outside of it, then the issue is gone. No point getting upset at others when you're the one making the choice.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy Howdy!! If this ain't a crew in bad need of a group hug!!! Or at least one of Uncle Mikey's famous martinis.

DG thank you for the compliment. For the record I am neither a coach nor an ultrarunner...yet Wink Just a big fan.

What kind of speedwork do ultrarunners do? 10x5000 meters

Just kidding. Actually alot of ultrarunners will run 5K and 10K races for speedwork or 800 and 1000 repeats. A couple of years ago Ann Trason ran a marathon in 2:45 as a speed workout. To paraphrase Muddy Waters, "Ain't that a woman?"
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
A couple of years ago Ann Trason ran a marathon in 2:45 as a speed workout.

Was that the Portland Marathon by any chance? I remember an ultra woman winning it back in the early 90's -- don't recall the name -- and saying after the race, "that was my speedword for the week."

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually it was the Napa Valley marathon in 1999. I remember because that time qualified her for the 2000 Olympic Marathon Trials.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2002 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Must've been a different one I was thinking of, then. I think that was the same Portland Marathon that another ultra runner did the 24 hour Megan's (sp?) Run on the Lincoln HS track, then did the Marathon an hour later as a cooldown. Yikes.

Dan
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying to get somewhat back on topic... From today's Runner's World online daily interview, Ritzenheim had the following to say:
Quote:
I don't run any double-workouts, and I'm doing about 10 miles less a week than I did in high school. But at a faster pace. It was a good idea. I could've gone out and run 100 miles a week, but coach was looking long-term. It's been very easy working with Coach Wetmore. I feel we have a good connection. He's one of the best coaches out there, and in my opinion he is the best. It's been tough for me to hold back (on the mileage) but he was thinking long-term, and I trust him. This was a year of good adjustments for me.

You can form your own conclusions... Wink

Dan
Distance_Guru
World Class
World Class

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's still running 80 to 90 miles a week on one run a day.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And your conclusion is?

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conclusion -- Distance is necessary ... So is increasing speed .... At least from Wetmore's point of view ...
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, wondering why no one addressed the coaching philosophies of the once eastern bloc coaches as I had mentioned them earlier .. Does no one find relevence in what they did ??? They still ocntrol most female all time lists ... And as I said steroid use aside training had ot be a part of their development/success ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the Eastern Bloc coaching example very relevant, but I'm guessing I'm not one of the people you were waiting for a response from. Rolling Eyes

Charlie Francis (Ben Johnson's coach) talks openly learning a lot from the East German women's coaches in terms of technical training philosophy. Hard to argue with a system (Francis') that produced several world class athletes, including arguably the best ever, with very limited resources and not a huge talent pool to draw from. Granted, that's just in the sprints and doesn't carry over all that directly to this distance discussion, but the success side of the example is still valid.

Regarding Wetmore, one thing I took from that quote is that his training of Ritzenheim seems like fairly typical collegiate 5k/10k mileage, hardly Lydiard-esque stuff. Keep in mind that Ritz was cranking out 20 milers in high school.

Another thing I drew from it is Wetmore's willingness to be flexible. I've heard a lot of stories about his battles with Goucher and Culpepper over mileage (them wanting to do much less than he wanted; Goucher's now training like a mid-distance runner...), so that caught me a bit by surprise.

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:

Charlie Francis (Ben Johnson's coach) talks openly learning a lot from the East German women's coaches in terms of technical training philosophy. Hard to argue with a system (Francis') that produced several world class athletes, including arguably the best ever, with very limited resources and not a huge talent pool to draw from. Granted, that's just in the sprints and doesn't carry over all that directly to this distance discussion, but the success side of the example is still valid.

Dan

While Francis drew from the sprint side, the Eastern Bloc was as successful in the middle to long distances ... Wink
Hammer
Varsity
Varsity

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2002 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I left this site for a couple of days and Wow......
First of all Dan: What's your problem???? Why would you try to discredit DG and myself (just because we have screen names.) Hey before we got on this site just about everyone agreed with your advise. Are you upset because some people don't agree with you???? Just ask Dan and I'll leave and you can get you confidence back up. If you don't like my views fine but don't get petty.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 18 of 19

Jump to: