Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Kenyan training methods

Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2000 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, we all know the Kenyans dominate the world in long distance. I'm trying to find out the real reason why. I've read different anecdotal info, such as it's the altitude, it's genetic, they run all the time as children growing up, it's the training, etc. Has anyone seen any concrete analysis of this training, or why they are the best? Any links to websites or directions would be great.

Specifically, I'm looking for info on the training, especially at the youth level. (Did anyone see Sammy Kipketer, 18 yrs old, run a 13:00 5k in California??!!)

[Anonymously Posted by: 'jdav3']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2000 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of what you will find is anecdotal, but there are some sources such as http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/091152150X/rundown (deals more with sprinting, I believe). I have not read either book but have heard good things about both. Owen Anderson of Running Research News has had the occasional article about Kenyans' training methods, which are very rigorous.

Most likely, all the factors you mentioned come into play, some more than others. As far as ages, I would disregard that as anything more than an ubelievably fast time by a runner, regardless of age. There is so much uncertainty about the accuracy of Kenyan birth records that it seems silly to get caught up in age group performances. 13:00 is a great run for anyone!

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2000 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, they do almost all of their running at 90 percent their max rate.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2000 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must've read the same article. Smile I think that's the single biggest reason, as you can probably guess from the training methods I espouse.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
CHSMile
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2001 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.umist.ac.uk/UMIST_Sport/2_art2.htm

This is a really good article on the topic.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2001 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The author of that article, John Manners, is part of the team behind Train Hard Win Easy, mentioned above. Obviously well respected on the topic of Kenyan running.

Dan
CHSMile
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2001 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Kenyans spend most their workouts at 90% their max heart rate, what percent of their max do most Americans sustain on a workout? If the heart rate is so crucial why don't Americans crank up their own heart rate?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2001 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Westerners rarely do more than 20-30% of their training at that high a heart rate, although I'm not sure of the exact numbers. There are lots of possible reasons why people do what they do, but comfort is probably the main one. The title of the above mentioned book says it all -- train hard, win easy. Wink

Dan
CHSMile
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2001 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you're saying that Westerners rarely run at a 90% heart rate because it's uncomfortable? Do you mean too hard? That sounds like you're saying that Westerners don't like to push themselves.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2001 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's pretty much the gist of it. However, it's not so much an unwillingness to work hard as it is to do the hard work that is more physically and mentally challenging. Many people think they are training hard, when in reality they are basically cruising through their comfort zone. It's not until they are placed in a more competitive group that they realize how much harder they can push themselves.

Sometime when you're bored, watch the faces of people in the weight room and you can really get a feel for how hard people are truly exherting themselves. Ignore the amount of weight being lifted or the number of reps and just pay attention to the focus and determination. The same can be seen on the track, although it's often a bit less obvious.

Dan
CHSMile
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2001 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we talking about people in general or are we talking about world class runners?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2001 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the most part, I would say both. You have to figure that the law of averages will dictate that groups of elite athletes will be roughly indicative of the populace they come from, be it physical stature, health, lifestyle, and approach to sports.

Dan
CHSMile
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2001 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is whole other type of thinking when you compare the elite to the common. I think that if anyone in America considers themselves world class they push themselves. I think that if Westerners saw it beneficial they would run at their 90% heart max. I don't think that someone that is considering the olympics would hold back any because of it isn't comfortable.
mjsbossman
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2001 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it isn't easy to train at 90% of your heart rate. Things get hard when I get around 85% and I can't maintain it for more than 20 minutes. It also makes me tired so running that fast everyday can lead to overtraining.
CHSMile
Water Boy
Water Boy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2001 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that is probably why Americans don't do it, not because it's uncomfortable
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 1 of 19

Jump to: