Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Newbie Runner

View previous topic :: View next topic  
voravoodee
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: Newbie Runner Reply with quote

Hi! I used to play soccer and wrestle in high school, and I ran very well. I ran 2 miles a day for practice in either sport with no problems. My point is that even though I could run, I had/still have no knowledge about running. I have no coach to tell me how to run or what to do like the old days!!! I am in the worst shape of my life (3 years of college), and I need to do something.

This week on Sunday I tried running a mile on a school track in the heat and I timed myself. I ran it in 7:40. I thought I was going to die, and I thought it might have been due to the heat (south carolina), So I decided to get up early to run. I got up Monday and today in the morning to run and timed myself. This time I ran in a neighborhood in which I used my truck to map out the mile. I ran 8:53 on monday and then 8:08 today.

All three runs gave me bad headaches and dizziness, and this morning I had a VERY SHARP pain in my chest right in the center spreading across my chest. I have never had headaches or dizziness or that pain before in 10 years of sports ( I guess that I was always in a pretty good condition and the 3 years of no activity has done this). I thought I might have a heart attack or something!

My goal is to run 1.5 miles in 12 minutes in a month. If you read this far I really really appreciate that, and I want to ask for some advice from you:

1. What shoes should I wear? I have flat feet.
2. Why do my lower back muscles always get really sore during and after running? What about the headaches/dizziness...will that go away or am I doomed?
3. I am committed to running every day of the week in the morning...so what should I do with that time to meet my goal?

If you can help me at all, I would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by voravoodee on Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sound dehydrated, but more importantly, you shouldn't be worrying about timed efforts until you're in good enough shape to do so without fear of heart issues (!).

Dan
voravoodee
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much water should I drink before running?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As much as you can up till the point you feel like you're sloshing. I like to be well hydrated early in the day and then taper off toward workout time, but you really need to experiment to find the right amount for you. Err on the side of over-hydration, then back off a bit to find the equilibrium point. You'll know when you've found it.

Dan
voravoodee
Lurker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I took your earlier advice, and I'm seeing a doctor tomorrow morning to find out if my heart and body are OK.

Also, I am going to try the hydration thing...did you ever hear of runners having sore lower back muscles after/during running? Will that eventually go away or what?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sore lower back often results from training fatigue and goes away with a bit of rest (or reduced training from the level that brought it on). Suplemental ab/back work is always a good idea.

Dan
voravoodee
Lurker

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I have been drinking more water and I have had no head aches so thanks for that. I ran 8:53, 8:08, 8:08, and 7:55 this week so that's good. I know someone on here said that it won't improve every day and may go back some, and that's ok with me. I still had a little pain in my chest today after running (but I didn't yesterday).

After like 7 days of running 1 mile, should I add 1/4 a mile?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats, that's good progress. I wouldn't worry about adding a specific amount every set number of days. Just try and steadily increase the distance as you're capable.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: