Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
Workout trouble

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2000 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am finding it hard to train regularly outdoors because of all the bad weather this week-rain, wind. It will be bad again all next week. So I have been running indoors, but I just cant do the same workouts. Plus I am often losing focus in my workouts as I now only train with one other person. Do you have any tips on where to find motivation?

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Dave M']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2000 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dave,

Where do you live? Southern Hemisphere? Mountains? Just curious where you are that the weather would be that bad for running outside.

For me, there's basically two ways to motivate myself for running: 1) run with other people, and 2) do faster running (i.e. intervals). I always train much better with others.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2000 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i live in Madison Wi-it has been raining all the time. Plus it is really windy all the time. I hope it gets better in May. I lose focus in my workouts when they take more than 50-60 minutes, ewspecially if I have to run alone-usually twice a week. Since my warmup is at least 15 minutes I try to get quality over quantity for the workout.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2000 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I've always heard that Madison is a good place to run, albeit a bit cold. Wind and rain? That's just a regular ol' day around Oregon... Wink

The length of the workouts is why I said I do better with intervals if I'm running alone -- easier to keep focused and motivated.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2000 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan,
today was a hurricane- and trust me I was the only one working out at the track this afternoon. It definitely made me a lot tougher as I did a 3x300m workout-42.9,43.3,44.5. It was raining and there was a 30-35 mile an hour wind on the first 100 of it. That first 100 in the 300s took so much out of me as I felt like I was standing still. I hope this will help me out.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2000 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, 30+ mile per hour winds are more than just windy! I'd love to see what your splits were on those 300's, something like 18, 15, 10!!! That's some serious strength work. I imagine it would have to help you once better weather turns up.

Dan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2000 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it did help me out, but I wont do that workout again until tomorrow, so I will have to see. Right now im trying to get more of a base going as I dont have any meets for a while. Today I did 8x200m at an ave of about 28 or so.

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2000 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What race are you preparing for?

Dan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2000 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im running a 400 on May 13, but im trying to go up to the 800 for June 20 or so

Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2000 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like you'll have good speed for the 800 and a good base of intervals for the 400. Hopefully, the weather will be kind to you come race day. Smile

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: