Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Kenya should take Samuel Wanjiru from Japan

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VIPAM
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Kenya should take Samuel Wanjiru from Japan Reply with quote

Samuel Wanjiru (Ken) 10 Nov 1986

He is actually racing more in Japan then most 5000m/10000m Kenyan top athletes. This teenager started of the 2005 season by winning the prestige Chibi X-Country and have continued on to an impressive track season which he hasn't been challenged at distance 10000m and up.

27:32.43............1r2)Kobe..........23 Apr
27:08.00...............1)Shizuoka....03 May
27:41.64...............1)Tokyo........05 Jun

59:43....................1) 1/2 Mar....10 Jul
passing 10km in 28:02 and winning by over 3 minutes ahead of a 2:06 marathoner. While its not concrete proof Samuel actually looks like a teenager which is refreshing but confusing why Kenya won't bring him home. He wasn't even required to run Kenya Championship for a spot on the Kenya World Team 10000m.

Samuel would DEFINITELY been a contender for the silver or bronze against the Ethiopians and certainly the first sub 27 minute 10000m by a junior.

http://www.iaaf.org/news/Kind=2/newsId=30212.html
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame your passion isn't the sprints. Conway and you (and X-King) would be talking up a storm! Smile

Dan
VIPAM
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Maybe Reply with quote

You sound like my former coach. I had pb of 21.4 in the 200m and never ran it in high school or college or even train for the sprints. I instead choose the 800m as I wish I could have run the 10000m but genetics would not allow it (and be competitive).

I do however know just as much about sprinting as I do any event.
VIPAM
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

Does anyone think Kenya suffered a big brain *art in not getting Samuel to try out for the Worlds 10000m squad?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You ran 21.4 without focusing on it? Shocked How fast were you in the longer stuff??

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How old were you when you ran 21.4 ???? That's good speed for a whole lot of things ... And depending on how old you were when you ran it you might have done well in the sprints !!!!
VIPAM
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 6:49 am    Post subject: .... Reply with quote

21.4 at age 22

pb
500m....1:02.30
800m....1:49.79
5 mile X-C.....26:02 won by 2 min

only ran competively for 2 - 2 1/2yrs.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice ... I think the 800 may have been a good choice ... Though if you ran 21.4 without a lot of work you may have been very good in the 400 ... I'd say under 46 somewhere ... Nice PRs though ... Congrats ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely good range. I'd have to say your times were fairly even across the spectrum, so perhaps no lost opportunities by moving up. Smile

Dan
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any thoughts on returning to competition?
VIPAM
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: just want to see Reply with quote

Honestly I hate competition I ran for the fun and went to college and was spotted by a coach who asked me to join. I would often run 5-10 miles a day before I even went to college because I loved to run. My workouts were often mindboggling but in competition it was just new and something I didn't like.

I remember my first meet at McNeese in Louisiana 800m indoors. I forget the guy who was the runner-up at NCAA that year but by 600m I was clocked at 1:18. something and felt good over 25 meters ahead of 2nd and I heard someone (yelling spilts) say, "He's not supposed to be doing that?". So for some unknown reason I slowed almost to a crawl and still finished 5th in I think 1:57. No specific training and 1st competition ever.

I will be going back to competition because my mindset thrives for the competition now to see how good I can get, but my best day are definitely behind me. I had workouts:

500m: 1:02.3 (4 min jog/walk rec)
300m: 35.0
-----
5 x 400m all under 53 (200m SLOW jog rec)
15 minutes later
a jamiacan friend (1:47 guy) need someone to help him so I led everyone of his in the under 52 to 53.5

Many of my world class teammates told me I could run 1:44- 1:45. I routinely hammered our 1:46 guy from Moz. but he took me to the line in practices. In competition I wasn't scared I just didn't know how to race and didn't like it. Now I have the competitive instinct I think I can get back to at least sub 1:50.
VIPAM
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject: Here's the young studs Reply with quote

Back to Samuel Wanjiru I think he is far more amazing than I ever was and now Kenya have a 15 yr girl who placed 2nd in their Championships at altitude 15:13 and not going to the World Championships. Kenya instead sent Veronica to World Youth were she walked over the competition in winning by 4 seconds in MR 9:01 (far off her personnal best).
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a coach's worst nightmare! What college did you attend?

Dan
VIPAM
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: ? Reply with quote

Why do you say I'm a coaches worst nightmare, Dan?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2005 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loads of talent in multiple events but no single area of focus, hard worker but not keen on competing, analytical to a fault... Imagine yourself in a coach's shoes, trying to figure out what button to push to realize all that potential. That's the sort of thing that keeps coaches from getting any sleep...

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: