Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Fantasy Track & Field League
Big Mistake

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Fantasy Track & Field League
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VIPAM
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2005 10:46 pm    Post subject: Big Mistake Reply with quote

I weighed in the selection of Justin Gatlin and others against Asafa Powell and decided to go with just Asafa Powell. Over the last couple years Asafa has raced more 100's GP than Justin and his form is extraordinary. I thought of picking Justin Gatlin and a few other with the point differental of Powell and Gatin + others and decided if Asafa would come of his injury he would be the bast pick. Asafa still can garner me good points but so far he missed the first stop and due to miss the second-picking him may have cost me points that will be hard to make up.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I skipped Asafa, but I made a similar "mistake" in the event, dropping Zakari last minute in favor of a few other athletes. Zakari, like Powell, tends to be a horse on the circuit, which could mean a lot of lost points.

Still, you didn't do too badly the first meet... Wink

Dan
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed on Asafa simply because he was too expensive and has been complaining about his "groin" all season ... While I don't believe the groin story, I do think it is being used to buy time away from the circuit when necessary ... That lead me ot belive that he wouldn't be running as often ...

Then again the big guns haven't been running as often the past few seasons ... Having said all that I didd choose Gatlin though ... But becasue he won only two races last year and needs to back up his gold medal performance from Athens ... Not quite as scientific as Micah mind you, but hey ...
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figure Gatlin is off to a better start this year and will probably run more races as a result, not having to go back to training to get things sorted out. As for Asafa, I couldn't help but wonder about what the rest of the season has in store, after breaking the record, based on Conway's mentioning in the past of the surprisingly poor odds of going sub-10 again.

Dan
Indeurr
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dan wrote:
I figure Gatlin is off to a better start this year and will probably run more races as a result, not having to go back to training to get things sorted out. As for Asafa, I couldn't help but wonder about what the rest of the season has in store, after breaking the record, based on Conway's mentioning in the past of the surprisingly poor odds of going sub-10 again.

Dan

Gatlin is (or seems to be) building up towrds the world championships while Asafa has already peeked, and finished racing for the rest of the season. His world championships have come a couple months too soon.
Asafa Powell -- out!!!

Drago Hornet Scooter 69 Kolaczek Rahiim R_Kolakowski indeurr kolakows dekolak pecunia etc. born in BiaLystok, Podlasie / Bialystok Province, POLand in 1973, on December 28, at 1515 or 3:15 p.m. Father: StanisLaw KoLakowski and mother Eugenia nee ZieliNska husband of Annie Anna May Mae Le(h)nhardt--Kolakowski nee Devon(e)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TB0RcWYMwXU
one hand clapping
VIPAM
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:38 am    Post subject: Powell hasn't peaked Reply with quote

Powell hasn't peaked and he may not be as banged (thigh injury) as reported. Asafa got the world record his other goal is to be World Champion and right now he have the psychological edge over Gatlin being noone has run faster than him, why risk giving Gatlin confidence by running against him before the Worlds.

In my opinion Powell went back to mid-season training in order to build more strength and then taper/peak around World Championships. The exciting part is will that be enough or will Gatlin step up to the challenge?
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Powell is hurt ... If he is clearly superior to Gatlin, then now would be the time to run him .. NO rounds ... Just go out and destroy him - if he could ... Take complete psychological advantage going in to the Games ...

As it stands, yes Powell has the record ... But Gatlin has Olympic Gold AND is the only person to beat Powell this year !!! If he is NOT hurt but avoiding Gatlin that would indicate fear !!!

If I'm better than you, then I want to go out and show the world ... Especially if you have something I want - a gold medal ...

Also, to say that Powell has NOT peaked is to say that he will break the record again ... Something that is highly unlikely ...

Mostly likely scenario ... Powell has peaked ... He also hurt himself in the WR attempt ... And if it is truly a groin is very sensitive and will not "heal" during the time between now and Helsinki .. Powell is doing his best to appear to want to race while trying to rehab ... But if the groin is hurt hard training will only keep it aggravated .. Which means all he can try and do is rest ... Meaning he will go into Helsinki at less than his best and will be vulnerable to another defeat !!! Wink
VIPAM
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:54 am    Post subject: just it time to wait and see Reply with quote

Gatlin may beat Powell in the World Championshps but Powell hasn't peaked and is capable of breaking the World Record again. He have plently of time to recuperate IF he is injuried from a sensitive groin. As far the WR you can be in better shape but still not break the record again due to conditions and the track.

Asafa Powell in my opinion is back training hard and will taper right before the Worlds in order to shock the world and Gatlin. The elite athletes often have two peaks in a season especially the sprinters. It will be up to Gatlin to rise to the occassion.
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conway wrote:
I think Powell is hurt ... If he is clearly superior to Gatlin, then now would be the time to run him .. NO rounds ... Just go out and destroy him - if he could ... Take complete psychological advantage going in to the Games ...

As it stands, yes Powell has the record ... But Gatlin has Olympic Gold AND is the only person to beat Powell this year !!! If he is NOT hurt but avoiding Gatlin that would indicate fear !!!

If I'm better than you, then I want to go out and show the world ... Especially if you have something I want - a gold medal ...

Also, to say that Powell has NOT peaked is to say that he will break the record again ... Something that is highly unlikely ...

Mostly likely scenario ... Powell has peaked ... He also hurt himself in the WR attempt ... And if it is truly a groin is very sensitive and will not "heal" during the time between now and Helsinki .. Powell is doing his best to appear to want to race while trying to rehab ... But if the groin is hurt hard training will only keep it aggravated .. Which means all he can try and do is rest ... Meaning he will go into Helsinki at less than his best and will be vulnerable to another defeat !!! Wink

That's my story and I'm stickin to it !!!! Wink
VIPAM
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:02 am    Post subject: np Reply with quote

Guess we'll have to wait and see, huh! Not saying I'm right its just my opinion on the situation but I understand your point also Conway Smile .
Conway
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that's what makes it fun !!! ;-=)
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Conway. I consider Powell to be one of the more mentally weak elite sprinters, whereas Gatlin is arguably the best of the current crop (Mo notwithstanding). The last couple times they've gone head to head, Gatlin has left no doubt that he's the tougher competitor. Any mental edge Powell has is purely in his own head ... it sure isn't on display out on the track.

Quote:
and right now he have the psychological edge over Gatlin being noone has run faster than him

By that same reasoning, Montgomery had the psychological edge over all his competitors the last couple years, but clearly he was unable to build on having the fastest team and was hardly an afterthought in most of his races since.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Fantasy Track & Field League All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: