Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Why do you race?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2000 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing a graduate research project and could use some help. Why do you run races? What makes you keep coming back for more. If you could tell me your favorite races and why plus any interesting running stories that would be great as well. Thanks!

[Anonymously Posted by: 'realbigcat']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2000 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's the toughest question there is... I don't remember how many times friends have asked me why I stuck with running (and not always in a complimentary fashion), and I never could come up with a good answer. It's not an addiction like people are quick to write it off as, but it's a very strong intangible connection.

Favorite race? Easy, the 800m. The one race where it's equally fun to spectate or participate in, where speed, endurance, and strategy all meet head on! Smile

For running stories, I've put a few together on the page appropriately title, 'running stories.'

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2000 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What encourages people to come to the line time after time is a question that I guess each person asks themselves at one point or anouther.

As for me it is the altimate challenge. As a college athlete, each time I toe the line, it offers me the opprotunity to test my character. No I haven't won everyrace I have ever run, but I have run every race with that intention. This attitude has allowed me to compete against and even beat athletes who are much more talented then I. It is hard to race with this type of intensity because if I don't succeed I have no one else to fault but myself. This was rough until I was able to detach my self worth from the results by saying all I can do is give 100% and be happy with the results. Each time I am successful it is evidence that with persistance and hardwork, one can achieve what ever they put there mind out to do.
It allows me to prove to myself and others that I am truely in control of my destiny and I hope it can inspire others to take control of there's in the same way.
Sincerely,

Cari

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Cari']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2000 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good points, Cari. That is exactly why many people fall short of the true 100% effort -- the fear of failure. Smile It is much easier to give 99% and have an excuse waiting in the wings just in case...

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2000 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"You have to wonder at times what you're doing out there. Over the years, I've given myself a thousand reasons to keep running, but it always comes back to where it started. It comes down to self-satisfaction and a sense of achievement."

That's what Steve Prefontaine said.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'A. Fan']
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2000 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In high school I was a bench warmer in every sport I tried. In college I started running to lose weight. I discovered road races in 1979 and I was hooked. Racing gave me an opportunity to be an athlete. That may not mean much to some people but it is very important to me. No matter how old I get I can toe the line at any weekend road race and compete, can be an athlete. Occasionally I will go to a race that is small enough that I will win an age group medal. When my name is called and those dozen people still standing around applaud, I feel like I am getting an Olympic medal. That is why I race.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2000 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running does provide a unique mixture of individuality and comraderie. Everyone can participate equally and discover the extent of their talents and desires.

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: