Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Training Talk
The Nike Free/barefoot training

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fry the Sailor
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject: The Nike Free/barefoot training Reply with quote

There seems to be quite push for runners, and athletes to invest in a pair of Nike Free, sure that simulates training barefoot. A couple of questions
1. Does it correct pronation/supination?
2. How long does it last?
3. Does it prevent injuries the way most shoes should?
4. Can it be used for racing?
5. Is it worth the cost?

Last edited by Fry the Sailor on Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Almost definitely not, being a freedom of movement design.

2) Generally not very long for anything that light weight and flexible.

3) Quite possibly, but there's a lot of disagreement on what a good shoe design is, in terms of injury prevention.

4) Definitely, although it remains to be seen how popular they are on the harsh roads.

5) Gotta try it to know for sure...

Dan
AM_Runner
All-Star
All-Star

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been seriously considering getting a pair. I enjoy doing barefoot cool downs when the weather is warm enough in the grass - I was thinking of getting a pair of these since the simulte the feeling of barefoot runnig to do some of the same once it gets colder again...
Fry the Sailor
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I visited my local shoe store to find out more about the nike free. Its actually only "training" shoe not a running shoe. It works great for warmups/cooldowns and other training routines like jump rope or pylometrics
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did they say it isn't for general running?

Dan
Fry the Sailor
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They told me it is not for running everyday in. And, they honestly told me that Nike is marketing the Free to runners because runners are more likely buy that kind training gear.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In other words, they gave you no reason? Neutral

Dan
Fry the Sailor
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What I got from them is that is not for day-to-day. Don't run in them for your entire workout, but really only for short warmups and cooldowns. It's really more of a "cross-training" shoe; it can handle some running workouts, but nothing too serious or it will start falling apart. Thats just the idea I got from the saleslady, and I don't know whether shes right or not.
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you take into account all the caveats Nike is putting on the use of the shoes it makes me ask the question:

What is the purpose of these shoes if you can't go for a run in them?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
but nothing too serious or it will start falling apart.

Not trying to shoot the messenger, but I question the logic in that. 10 x 1 mile warmups will wear them out just as fast as 1 x 10 mile workout, so either they work for your feet or they don't. Wear and tear should be a non-issue, unless they're so fragile they could give in the middle of any given run, which I highly doubt.

Dan
Fry the Sailor
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I give up, I still don't understand the true purpose of this shoe. I had a few idea, how about the rest of you?
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is it's supposed to simulate running barefoot while still giving you some protection from things like thistles, broken glass, syringes... That alone doesn't explain why you should use them sparingly, though. Only reason I can think of is because most people that run barefoot only do so for cooldowns, but that's more a matter of practicality than anything. If you have a shoe that simulates barefootedness on surfaces you wouldn't otherwise go on, then why not use them regularly? Just doesn't add up to me.

Dan
StickBoy
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:56 am    Post subject: Free experience Reply with quote

I hope you guys don't mind input from an outsider, but I am wearing the Free 5.0's as we speak. Here is what I think:

The Free is, as Nike markets it, a training "tool". How this is different from any other shoe is probably more of a marketing gimick than anything else Wink Having said that, there is a regimen that Nike recomends one follow in order to adjust your feet to the Free and avoid injury. Each pair of shoes comes with a fairly in depth schedule to follow for the first few weeks to allow your feet to get used to the new abuses they will be facing (walk around the house for the first day, take a walk around the neighborhood a few days later, short run a couple of days later, etc). I think rushing this adaptation would result in easily avoided injury. Go here for a .pdf of the training schedule:

http://www.nike.com/nikefree/usa/v2/downloads/nikefree_schedule.pdf

As for the feel - it's like wearing slippers around all day! They are AMAZINGLY comfortable and light. Without all of the seams and such of a traditional shoe, they can really form to your foot and you forget they are there. On the downside, there is very little cushioning (not designed to be) so if you are a "pounder" they may not be the shoe for you.

Stability: These are NOT for "over" pronators or supinators. I say "over" because I pronate very mildly and the Team at RunTex (plug for local running shop) think these may allow my muscles to develop and compensate for some of this. BUT, these are really designed for nuetral, light runners. I would also be hesitant about any sort of extrame lateral movements, because the upper is so forgiving. It may cause some issues.

Reliability: These really are not designed to be your primary shoe, but as with any lightweight racing flat you could train in them some and race in them and get many good miles out of them. They aren't going to "fall apart" any faster than any other product made by Nike for this purpose.
They are for much more than just cool-downs and such!

Long, rambling story short: I have worn them for a few weeks, have done a few 3-5 mile runs (mostly on a crushed gravel running trail) and have had nothing but good things to say about them. One caveat from the sales guys: these will be "garage shoes" in short order, due to the stink that may develop (they don't air out as well as they should). Maybe that's just a Texas heat thing Cool

If you are looking for a way to strengthen your running and not looking for a cure for over-pronation, these are a great choice. But check with your LRS for the best advice.

Hope it helps,
StickBoy
Micah Ward
Olympic Medalist
Olympic Medalist

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if the shoe is a training "tool" what exactly is it supposed to add to your running? To me, any training tool is something that should make me run faster, farther and/or more injury free. How does the Free do this?

If it is not meant to be an everyday shoe or a racing flat then what purpose does it serve when I wear it?

BTW, you are no longer an outsider. Very Happy

So stick around and provide your input any where you would like. We try to take pride in this being one of the most civil forums on the net.
StickBoy
Lurker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is supposed to make the lower leg stronger, thereby allowing you to run injury-free. I guess I never really made that clear in my post - sorry. It isn't supposed to replace your regular training or racing shoes for all instances, but should be used in conjunction with them, i.e. maybe run your shorter quality runs in the Free, your long Saturday morning run in your "normal" shoe, and race in your flats. I have also tried a track workout in the Free with good results (comfortable, good response) and a core workout with not-so-good results (too much lateral slop on the balannce board).

Thanks for the welcome. From what I have seen, this is a good forum with level-headed and open-minded people. A true gem!

StickBoy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Training Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: