Run-Down Forums Forum Index Run-Down Forums

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch

Run-Down Forums Forum Index
Rambling Runners
Shin splints

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2000 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I read other messages in this forum regarding shin splints and someone mentioned that shin splints are actually a muscle problem. I am suffering from pain there also but my pain sure feels like it's right on the bone(I think it's the femur bone) on the front of the leg. I really don't think it's a stress fracture though, and was wondering if shin splints actually feel like the bone is where the pain is coming from.

Thanks,
Chris

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Chris Ham']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2000 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris,

My familiarity (and recommendations) with shin splints relate to the pain on the inner-side, not the front. However, it definitely feels more like a bone problem, so don't rule out the possible connection. Of course, play it smart and get it looked at if you suspect something bone related.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2000 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Chris I'm relatively new to running and I had what seemed like incurable shin splints. My cure was to point my toes with my shoes off and spell the alphabet with my toes once a night. After about 2 weeks of this my shin spints went away and have never came back. It has something to do with strengthening and stretching the right muscles.
I hope this helps.
Dan C.

[Anonymously Posted by: 'Dan Carroll']
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2000 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Dan,

That's nearly identical to my suggested method for dealing with shin splints, except that I do general rotations with resistance. Also, two weeks is almost exactly how long it's taken to deal with in my experience!

Funny how many times I bang my head against the wall trying to get people to believe how easy it is to deal with shin splints. They would much rather be in pain than spend 10 minutes a night for two weeks and deal with it altogether... I have yet to hear from a person who has done these exercises and not improved dramatically.

Dan
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2000 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel that pain, Dan. I feel that pain. Smile

I'll do my ABCs tonight! Thank you for the new exercise.
Dan
Chief Pontificator
Chief Pontificator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2000 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On behalf of both Dan's, you're quite welcome! Smile

Now that I've laid my reputation on the line, I hope it works for you...

Dan
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Run-Down Forums Forum Index -> Rambling Runners All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: